6th Virginia Regiment (Revolutionary War)
The 6th Regiment was formed in February 1776 at Williamsburg. Companies recruited men from Pittsylvania, Amherst, Buckingham, Charles City, Lunenburg, New Kent, Mecklenburg, Dinwiddie, Prince George, and Spotsylvania Counties. Field officers were Colonel John Gibson, Lt. Colonel Charles Simms and Major Samuel Hopkins.
- Company - Captain Richard Anderson
- Company - Captain Nathaniel Fox
- Company - Captain Nicholas Hobson
- Company - Captain Peter Garland
- Company - Captain John Hockaday
- Company - Captain Samuel Hopkins
- Company - Captain Thomas Massie
- Company - Captain Alexander Rose
- Company - Captain William H. Avery
- Company - Captain Peter Dunn
- The information above is from 6th Virginia Regiment at Valley Forge Legacy: The Muster Roll Project.
- Rosters Companies 1-10
- "6th Virginia Regiment," Valley Forge Legacy: The Muster Roll Project, http://valleyforgemusterroll.org/regiments/va6.asp, accessed 23 January 2012.
- Peter Garland, Captain, 6th Virginia, came from Albemarle County. See Edgar Woods, Albemarle County in Virginia: Giving Some Account of What It Was by Nature, of What It Was Made by Man, and of Some of the Men Who Made It (Charlottesville, Va.: The Michie Company Printers, 1901), 367.