7th Regiment, Pennsylvania Cavalry (80th Volunteers)
This regiment was organized at Harrisburg September to December, 1861. It mustered out August 13, 1865. 
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- The Civil War Archive section, 7th Regiment Cavalry (80th Volunteers), (accessed 12 September 2012).
- The Wikipedia Article, 7th Pennsylvania Cavalry, (accessed 28 Novemberf 2012).
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
Field Officers and Staff - See Roster
Company A - Men recruited in Schuylkill County - See Roster
Company B - Men recruited in Lycoming County and Tioga County - SeeRoster
Company C - Men recruited in Bradford County and Tioga County - SeeRoster
Company D - Men recruited in Montour County - See Roster
Company E - Men recruited in Centre County and Clinton County - See Roster
Company F - Men recruited in Philadelphia County and Schuylkill County - SeeRoster
Company G - Men recruited in Chester County, Lycoming County, and Tigoa County - See Roster
Company H - Men recruited in Allegheny County, Chester County, and Montour County - See Roster
Company I - Men recruited in Dauphin County and Lycoming County - SeeRoster
Company K - Men recruited in Cumberland County and Fayette County - See Roster
Company L - Men recruited in Berks County and Northumberland County - See Roster
Company M - Men recruited in Allegheny County - See Roster
Unassigned men - See Roster
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Pennsylvania in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Pennsylvania in the Civil War describes many sources, specifically for Pennsylvania, and how to find them. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- 7th Pennsylvania Cavalry. Gives Regimental History. Also has roster, bibliography, links and information on descendants Association.
- PaRoots gives a history of this unit with accounts of battles and the organization of the Unit. It also lists rosters for the various companies.Gives several additional references.
- Dornblaser, T. F. Sabre Strokes of the Pennsylvania Dragoons, in the War of 1861-1865 Interspersed with Personal Reminiscences. Philadelphia: Lutheran publication Society, 1968. FHL fiche 6083932.[[*Dornblaser, T. F. Sabre Strokes of the Pennsylvania Dragoons, in the War of 1861-1865 Interspersed with Personal Reminiscences. (Philadelphia: Lutheran publication Society, 1968). FHL fiche 6083932.Internet Archives. Other Libraries.|InternetArchive]]. Other Libraries.
- Sipes, William B. "The Seventh Pennsylvania Veteran Volunteer Cavalry; Its Record, Reminiscences and Roster; with an Appendix" (Pottsville, Pa: Miners' journal print, 1905). FHL fiche 6083933 and (Washington [District of Columbia] : Library of Congress, Photoduplication Service, 1988), FHL film 1486515. Internet Archives. Other Libraries.
- Straub, Edward A. (Edward Adlum). Life and Civil War services of Edward A. Straub. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1992), FHL fiche 6083934
- Thompson, Heber S. "Diary of Capt. Heber S. Thompson, Seventh Pennsylvania Volunteer Cavalry, Pottsville, Pa.: May to December, 1864". (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1992), FHL 662360. Other Libraries.
- United States. Army. Pennsylvania Cavalry Regiment, 7th (1862-1865). History and roster of the Seventh Pa. Cavalry Veteran Volunteers, 1861-1865. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1992), FHL fiche 6083931
- Vale, Joseph G. "Minty and the Cavalry. A History of Cavalry Campaigns in the Western Armies" (Harrisburg, Pa: E.K. Meyers, printers, 1886). FHL film 1491118and Washington [District of Columbia] : Library of Congress, Photoduplication Service, 1976), FHL fiche 6118495 Google Books. Other Libraries.
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, (accessed 6 December 2010).