87th Regiment, Indiana Infantry
This Unit was organized at South Bend, Indiana, and mustered in August 31, 1862. It march to Washington, D. C., via Richmond, Virginia, April 29-May 19 and Grand Review May 24. They mustered out June 10, 1865.
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- The Civil War Archive section, 87th Regiment Infantry, (accessed 10 May 2012).
- The Wikipedia article, 87th Regiment Indiana Infantry, (accessed 21 June 2012).
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
- Officer and Non-Commissioned Office - see Roster
- Company A - many men from Jasper and Fulton County - see Roster on page 403
- Company B - many men from Pulaski County- see Roster on page 405
- Company C - many men from Miami County- see Roster on page 407
- Company D - many men from Fulton County- see Roster on page 408
- Company E - many men from Fultonand Pulask County - see Roster on page 410
- Company F- many men from Fulton County- see Roster on page 412
- Company G - many men from La Porte County- see Roster on page 414
- Company H - many men from La Porte County- see Roster on page 415
- Company I - many men from La Porte County- see Roster on page 417
- Company K - many men from St. Joseph County- see Roster on page 419
- Unassigned Recuits - see Roster on page 420
The list of companies with their counties and their rosters are on the 87th Regimen, Indiana Infantry on CIVIL WAR INDEX web site. (accessed 25 Jan 2011)
Note: This Regiment was recruites in the Eighth Congressional District.
- Company H - many men from St. Joseph County - see Roster on page 726 in History Of St. Joseph County .
- Indiana State Digital Achives for Civil War can be searched by soldier's name (accessed 1 May 2011)
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Indiana in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Indiana in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Indiana, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- The Civil War Archive. (accessed 13 Dec 2010) Brief history of the 87th Regiments, Indiana Infantry.
- Wilipedia (accessed 13 Dec 2010) article on the 87th Regiment, Indiana Infantry.
- Union Army Regimental History Index (accessed 14 Dec 2010) Index Of Regimental Histories: Artillery, Cavalry, Infantry, and other units, states Alabama to Indiana
- Gosset, Joseph B., "A Letter from the Front: Vicksburg, 1863", (ed. Erich L. Ewald, Indiana Magazine of History 91, no. 3 (September 1995): 321-325) Henry County (Honey Creek), 1863, 87nd Indiana Volunteer Infantry, Co. E Abstract and Bibliographic Information article PDF
- Company "H", 87th Infantry some members were from St Joseph country. On page 726 on this book, give person from St. Joseph Country only. Howard, Timothy Edward, A History of St. Joseph County, Indiana (Chicago, Illinois : Lewis Publishing Company, 1907 ) FHL US/CAN Book 977.289 H2h v.2 pt .2Google books (accessed 07 Jan 2010) FHL 1550208 Other libraries with this book
- Society of the Eighty-seventh Indiana Volunteer Infantry, and Newell Gleason. First Annual Reunion, with Reports of the Meetings, of the Society of the Eighty-Seventh Indiana Volunteer Infantry Laporte, Ind., Sept. 23d and 24th, 1869. (South Bend, Ind: National Union Book & Job Print, 1870.) FHL US/CAN Fiche 6084424 (1 fiche) FHL Collection other library
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System (accessed 4 January 2011).
- Company "H", 87th Infantry some members were from St Joseph; country. On page 726 on this book,;give person from St. Joseph Country only.;Howard,;Timothy Edward, A History;of St. Joseph County, Indiana&amp;amp;amp;nbsp; (Chicago, Illinois;: Lewis Publishing Company, 1907 );FHL US/CAN;Book 977.289 H2h v.2 pt .2Google books;(accessed 07 Jan 2010);FHL 1550208Other libraries with this book