88th Regiment, Ohio Infantry
The 88th Regiment, Ohio Infantry mustered in October 27, 1862 at Camp Chase, Ohio. They were mustered out July 3, 1865 at Camp Chase, Ohio. 
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- Larry Stevens' Ohio in the Civil War, 88th Ohio Infantry
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
Company A - Many men from Fairfield Countya
Company B -
Company D - many men from Mahoning County
Company E -
Company F -
Company G -
Company H -
Company I -
Company K - Many men from Pleasantville and Royalton
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Ohio in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Ohio in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Ohio, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, (accessed 6 December 2010).
- fckLRHistory of Fairfield County, Ohio page 401
- Albert G. Riddle, History of Geauga and Lake Counties, Ohio: with Illustrations and Biographical Sketches of its Pioneers and Most Prominent Men, (Evansville, Indiana: Unigraphic, 1973. Reprint of original published: Philadelphia: Williams Bros., 1878), page 52. FHL Q book 977.133 H2wiL
-  History of Trumbull and Mahoning counties]page 138