8th Regiment, Ohio Infantry
The 8th Regiment, Ohio Infantry mustered in June 22, 1861 at Camp Dennison, Ohio. They were mustered out July 13, 1865 at Cleveland, Ohio. 
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- Larry Stevens' Ohio in the Civil War, 8th Ohio Infantry
- The Civil War Archive section, 8th Regiment Infantry, (accessed 29 August 2012.
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
Company A - many men from Seneca County
Company D - many men from Huron County
Company E - many men from Erie County
Company I - many men from Lorain County
Company K - many men from Medina County
The above county information from Homer Everett's book, History of Sandusky County, (Cleveland, Ohio: H. Z. Williams, 1882), page 246. Internet Archive.
A county listing from Steve Ward's Buckeyes All, Part I Revised, is given on Larry Stevens' Ohio in the Civil War web page, 8th Ohio Infantry .
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Ohio in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Ohio in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Ohio, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Sawyer, Franklin; Groot, George A. A military history of the 8th Regiment Ohio Vol. Inf'y : its battles, marches and army movements. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1993) FHL Fiche 6118149 and (Columbus, Ohio : Ohio Historical Society, 1988) FHL Film 1688762 Item 1