8th Regiment, Pennsylvania Cavalry (89th Volunteers)
This regiment was organized at Philadelphia August to October, 1861. It mustered out by consolidation with 16th Pennsylvania Cavalry July 24, 1865.
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Pennsylvania in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Pennsylvania in the Civil War describes many sources, specifically for Pennsylvania, and how to find them. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Huey, Pennock. A True History of the Charge of the Eighth Pennsylvania Cavalry at Chancellorsville. Philadelphia: Porter & Coates, 1883. Google Books. Internet Archives. FHL Fiche 6083938. Other libraries.
- Carpenter, James Edward. "A List of the Battles, Engagements, Actions and Important Skirmishes in Which the Eighth Pennsylvania Cavalry Participated During the War of 1861-1865". (Philadelphia: Allen, Lane & Scott's printing House, 1886). FHL Fiche 6083937. Other libraries
- PaRoots. Gives history and organization of the 8th Regiment Pennsylvania Cavalry. Also lists additional references.Shows rosters for each company.
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, (accessed 6 December 2010).