A Comprehensive List of Burnley's Chapelries

From FamilySearch Wiki
Revision as of 14:17, 11 February 2012 by Cottrells (talk | contribs) (Text replace - '''A Topographical Dictionary of England''' to '''A Topographical Dictionary of England''')

Jump to: navigation, search

BURNLEY, a market-town and parochial chapelry, and the head of a union, in the parish of Whalley, Higher division of the hundred of Blackburn, N. division of the county of Lancaster, 25 miles (N.) from Manchester, 53 (E. N. E.) from Liverpool, and 210 (N. N. W.) from London; comprising the townships of Burnley, Habergham-Eaves, Ightenhill Park, Reedley-Hollows, Briercliffe-cum-Extwistle, Worsthorn-with-Hurstwood, and [Holme-in-]Cliviger; and containing 23,505 inhabitants, of whom 10,699 are in the township of Burnley

From:  A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 440-445. [URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=50845. Date accessed: 19 February 2010.]

This large township while a chapelry (St Peter) of itself, also contained 7 township chapelries prior to the 1851 religious census--all lying within the parish boundaries of Whalley (which also see). These chapelries included: