A Comprehensive List of Chapelries in Leigh Parish

From FamilySearch Wiki
Revision as of 14:27, 11 February 2012 by Cottrells (talk | contribs) (Text replace - ' A Topographical Dictionary of England ' to ' ''A Topographical Dictionary of England'' ')

Jump to: navigation, search

LEIGH (St. Mary), a market-town and parish, and the head of a union, in the hundred of West Derby, S. division of Lancashire, 46 miles (S. S. E.) from Lancaster, and 197 (N. W.) from London; containing 22,229 inhabitants, and comprising the parochial district of Tyldesley cum Shakerley, the chapelries of Astley, Atherton, and Bedford, and the townships of Pennington and Westleigh.

From: 'Leigh - Leigh-Wooley', A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 62-65. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=51102 Date accessed: 08 February 2010.

The Parish of Leigh St Mary's had the following chapelries attached to it prior to 1851: