A Comprehensive List of Chapels in the Parish Boundaries of St George Hanover Square
From FamilySearch Wiki
Revision as of 17:17, 2 January 2011 by Cottrells (deeper cat)
Return to the Middlesex Parishes S page.
Here is a Comprehensive List of Chapels Within the Boundaries of St George Hanover Square, Westminster:
- St George Hanover Square - 1725 [from St.Martin-in-the-Fields]
- All Saints, Grosvenor Road, Pimlico. Chapel-of-Ease to previous (1863)
- Berkeley Chapel, John Street, Berkeley Square, Mayfair. Proprietary Chapel - became:
St Mary, Bourdon Street. Chapel-of-Ease to St.Geo.Han.Sq. - 1882
- Christ Church, Down Street, Mayfair 
- Curzon Chapel, Curzon Street, Mayfair. Proprietary Chapel. Successor to the Mayfair Chapel, the marriage shop of the infamous Dr.Keith who defied church and state authority, with his asistants conducting 7000+ marriages c.1730 until activities stopped by Hardwicke's Marriage Act of 1754. Oddly enough, the registers were well-kept and went to the parish church (St.George's Hanover Square), and the Bishop's Transcripts to the diocesan registry.
- Eaton Chapel, Eaton Terrace. Proprietary Chapel. - 1836
- Grosvenor Chapel, South Audley Street - 1730
- Hanover Church, Regent Street - 1823 became district church, then replaced by:
St Anselm, Davies Street, Berkeley Square. [Separate parish 1896] - closed 1938, Parish united to Han.Square and St Mark, N.Audley Street.
- St Barnabas, Church Street, Pimlico -1850
- St John's Chapel, Pimlico Road. Chapel-of-Ease to above
- St Gabriel, Warwick Square, Pimlico - 1852
- St George's Chapel, Albermarle Street. Proprietary Chapel [18??]
- St George, Albemarle Street, Proprietary Chapel. - 1740? Registers survive 1888-1909
- St John, Belgrave Square. Proprietary Chapel. Possibly the same as:
Belgrave Chapel Halkin Street [1898-1910]
- St Mark, North Audley Street - 1828
- St Saviour's (for Deaf and Dumb) Chapel, Oxford Street
- St Michael, Chester Square - 1846
- St Philip, Buckingham Palace Road - 1888. Separate parish 1890.
- St Paul, Wilton Place [Knightsbridge] - 1843
- St Mary, Graham Street [now Bourne Street] - 1909
- St Peter, Eaton Square - 1827
- St John the Evangelist, Wilton Road Chapel-of-Ease to above - 1874?
- St Peter, Buckingham Gate/Palace Street Chapel-of-Ease to above - 1822?
- St Saviour, St George's Square, Pimlico - 1864
- Trinity Chapel, Conduit Street - 1691, chapel of ease; closed 1875