"ABERGELE (ABER-GELAU) A market town and parish in the hundred of Isdulas, county of Denbigh, North Wales, 12 miles (N.W.) from Denbigh, 20 miles (N.W.) from Ruthin, and 224 miles (N.W.) from London on the great road from Holyhead to Chester... The parish takes its name from its situation near the mouth of the river Geley, which here falls into the Irish Sea, and is celebrated as the scene of several military exploits in the earlier period of the wars between England and Wales, and of various transactions of great historical interest... The church, dedicated to S. Michael, is a low edifice of great length and unpretending character, with a lofty tower at the west end. There are places of worship for Baptists, Independents, and Cavinistic and Wesleyan Methodists.." [A Topographical Dictionary of Wales, 1833, Samuel Lewis]
The ancient parish was made up of several townships, inlcuding: Abergele, (or Tre'r Dre), Towyn Uchaf, Towyn Isaf, Bodoryn, Bodtegwal, Hendregyda, Dolganed, Serior, Brynffanigl, Nant Dinhengroen, Garthgogo, Gwrych, and Penrhyn Dulas. For more information see Abergele, Denbighshire at genuki.org.uk
|before 31 March 1974||Denbighshire|
|1 April 1974 - 31 March 1996||Clwyd|
|from 1 April 1996||County Borough of Conwy|
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 464321.
Maps and Gazetteers
- Abergele Parish Church at Clwyd FHS