About FamilySearch Indexing: Swedish Church Records up to 1860
Register as a FamilySearch Indexing Volunteer
If you have not already done so, you must register as an indexing volunteer to help with this project. To register, click here. To help with this specific project, sign in to the indexing application, click the Download From... button, and select this project name from the list.
Characteristics of This Project
- Some old records, difficult to read
- One image per batch
- Up to 50 records per image
- Several different formats
- Up to 19 fields to index for each record
- No highlights
Intermediate This project is recommended for volunteers who are familiar with the indexing process and comfortable using various system features.
Description of the Records
- The Sweden, church records were handwritten and may be difficult to read.
- This project has three main types of records: Births and Baptisms, Banns and Marriages, and Deaths and *Burials.
- It will require careful scrutiny of the records to determine the type because there are many different formats. There are paragraph formats and table formats.
- Columns, when they exist, do not always have headings to define the contents.
- The order of information for the fields to be indexed varies from record to record.
The completed index for this project will be freely accessible online to the general public when the collection is published. The images will be stored on the Riksarkivet SVAR web site. Authenticated users will have free access to view the images from the FamilySearch Record Search pilot site. Non-authenticated users will be charged to see the images. Authenticated users include active indexers, members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, and patrons at any of the Church's 4600 family history centers.