Acadia Parish, Louisiana Genealogy
Guide to Acadia Parish Louisiana genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Acadia Parish, Louisiana|
Location in the state of Louisiana
Location of Louisiana in the U.S.
|Founded||June 30, 1886|
|Address|| 425 North Parkerson Avenue|
Crowley, LA 70526
- 1 Parish Courthouse
- 2 Parish Places & Localities
- 3 Records and Resources
- 3.1 African American
- 3.2 Cemeteries
- 3.3 Census
- 3.4 Church Records
- 3.5 Land and Property
- 3.6 Local Histories
- 3.7 Maps
- 3.8 Military
- 3.9 Newspapers
- 3.10 Probate Records
- 3.11 Taxation
- 3.12 Vital Records
- 3.13 Repositories
- 4 Societies
- 5 Websites
- 6 Thanks to the Contributors to the Acadia Parish Pages
- 7 References
Acadia Parish Courthouse
PO Box 922
Crowley, LA 70527-0922
Parish Clerk of Court has records of marriages, divorces, wills, land, civil, and criminal law suits from 1886.
Acadia Parish was created 30 June 1886 from St. Landry Parish after an election to determine the parish seat, ending when Crowley beat Rayne and Prairie Hayes.
See an interactive map of Acadia Parish showing boundary changes.
Parish Places & Localities
Records and Resources
- Louisiana African American Griots Project ~ USGenWeb Project
- Afrigeneas - African Ancestored Genealogy
Acadia Parish Cemeteries
- Acadia Parish Cemeteries on la-cemeteries.com
- Acadia Parish, Louisiana Cemetery Preservation
- Louisiana Cemetery Transcriptions, Acadia to Calcasieu
- LA Tombstone Transcription Project
Partial records and photos - USGenWeb Archives Project
LA cemetery records by county
- African American Cemeteries
listing by county
cemetery records with search by cemetery, by surname
- Louisiana Census Images ~ USGenWeb Census Images Project
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Louisiana denominations, view the Louisiana Church Records wiki page.
Land and Property
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Louisiana Land and Property for additional information about early Louisiana land ownership. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse where records are also currently housed.
Local histories are available for Acadia Parish, Louisiana Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories see the wiki page section Louisiana Local Histories.
- Family Maps of Acadia Parish, Louisiana (land patent maps) at HistoryGeo.com ($). Free surname search.
- USGW Digital Map Collection ~ USGenWeb Project
- Acadia Parish Today
- Louisiana Newspaper List ~ listing by name/parish ~ USNPL
- Louisiana Newspaper ~ listing ~ Newslink
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Acadia Parish, Louisiana Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
Probate records before 1845 were kept in probate courts. Since 1845, they have been kept by the Acadia Parish, Louisiana Genealogy clerk of the district court. Many of the probate records are included in the notarial records with the deeds and mortgages. In some parishes they are known as “succession” records.
See the Wiki page Louisiana Probate Records for more information about probate records in Louisiana.
Content: Probate records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, and adoptions.
Louisiana statewide registration of birth and death records began in 1911. Births and deaths are kept by the Louisiana Vital Records Registry. Marriages were recorded by each parish, and the records are at the parish clerk of court office. See also How to order Louisiana Vital Records or order electronically online.
See Louisiana Vital Records for more information on getting Louisiana records.
Louisiana Records and Statistics Information ~ where and how to order information.
- Acadia Parish Library
- Acadia Parish Library - Genealogy
- Louisiana Historical Society
- Louisiana Historical Association
Family History Centers
- Acadia Genealogical and Historical Society (on Rootsweb)
Websites - Acadia Parish
- Acadia Parish, Louisiana Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Acadia Parish on n2.genealogy.com
- Acadia Parish on Kindred Trails
- Acadia Parish, La - Genealogy Forum
- Acadia Parish, Genealogy Trails
- Acadia Parish on RootsWeb
- Acadia Parish Genealogy Queries on CousinConnect.com
Websites - Louisiana and US
- LAGenWeb - Louisiana State Records
- USGenWeb - Records, Maps, Archives and Other Projects
- Louisiana Archives ~ USGenWeb Archives Project
- Family History Library Catalog
Thanks to the Contributors to the Acadia Parish Pages
Contributors are people who write and edit the pages for FamilySearch Wiki. Thanks to the following contributors for helping to build this page (in alpha order). Anyone can be a contributor. Add content today!
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed.Acadia Parish, Louisiana p 289 (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).