Acklam, Yorkshire Genealogy
East Acklam St John the Baptist should not be confused with West Acklam, Yorkshire
ACKLAM (St. John the Baptist), a parish, in the union of Malton, wapentake of Buckrose, E. riding of York; containing the townships of Acklam-with-Barthorpe, and Leavening; and having 845 inhabitants, of whom 411 are in Acklam-with-Barthorpe, 7¼ miles (S.) from Malton. The parish comprises about 4000 acres: the surface is elevated, including a portion of the wolds, from which a most extensive view of the surrounding country is obtained; and the scenery is in many parts beautifully romantic. The soil in the valley is a strong clay, in other parts of lighter quality; and stone of a good kind for building is largely quarried. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £5; net income, £108; patron, the Chancellor of the Cathedral of York. The church, rebuilt in 1790, is a neat structure with a square tower, and contains 250 sittings. There are places of worship for Primitive Methodists and Wesleyans.
From: 'Abingdon - Ackton', A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 5-9. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=50742 Date accessed: 27 March 2011.
In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Acklam like this:
ACKLAM, a township and a parish in Malton district, E. R. Yorkshire. The township is called Acklam-with-Barthorpe, and lies 5 miles ESE of Kirkham r. station, and 7 S of Malton. Acres, 1,860. Pop. 366. Houses, 82. The parish is called East Acklam, and contains also the township of Leavening. Post Town, Kirby-Underdale under York. Acres, 2,970. Real property, £1,621. Pop., 774. Houses, 184. The surface is on the Wolds, and commands a very extensive view. The property is much subdivided. The living is a rectory in the diocese of York. Value, £108.* Patron, the Archbishop of York. The church was rebuilt in 1868. There are chapels for Wesleyan and Primitive Methodists. Some ancient entrenchments and other works, British or Roman, are on the hills.
To find the names of the neighbouring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
This ancient parish (AP) was created before 1813. Church of England records began in 1716. Contributor: Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts, nonconformist and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection.
| This section requires expansion with:
any unique information, such as the census for X year was destroyed.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Yorkshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Contributor: Add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.