Adair County, Kentucky Genealogy
- This article is about a central Kentucky county. For other uses, see Adair.
|Adair County, Kentucky|
Location in the state of Kentucky
Location of Kentucky in the U.S.
|Founded||December 11, 1801|
- 1 Quick Dates
- 2 County Courthouse
- 3 History
- 4 Places / Localities
- 5 Resources
- 6 Societies and Libraries
- 7 Websites
- 8 References
Adair County's civil records start the following years:
*Many years between 1852 and 1911 are missing
Places / Localities
|Barnett Springs||Dunbar Hill||Inroad||Pickett|
|Columbia||Gentrys Mill||Neatsville|| |
|Craycraft||Glens Fork||Nell|| |
- Adair County African American Marriages after the Civil War
- The KY African American Griots Project ~ The Kentucky African American Griots Project
- Sandi Gorin's Tips ~ Hangings in Kentucky 1792 - 1900
- Adair Co., KYGenWeb ~ Bible Records
- Adair Co., KYGenWeb ~ Biographies
- Adair Co., KYGenWeb ~ Family Group Sheets
- USGenWeb Archives-Adair County Kentucky Biographies (You may need to scroll down the page,)
- KY Biographies ~ Jeff Murphy's Kentucky Biographies Project
Kentucky cemetery records often identify birth, death, relationship, and military information, as well as religious affiliation.
- Adair Co., KYGenWeb ~ Cemeteries
- Cemeteries at KYGenweb
- Adair County Cemeteries at www.so-ky.com
- Adair County page at
- Kentucky Tombstone Transcription Project.
- Kentucky Historical Society Cemetery Search can be searched by name, place and/or date. This database has hundreds of thousands of names transcribed from gravestones across Kentucky.
- Find A Grave can be searched by the name of a person or family to find where a person is buried. Usually gives birth and death dates often with a picture of the tombstone. May give obituaries, names of family members and links to their information in Find A Grave.
- Find A Grave also gives a list of cemeteries in Adair County and links to the information for the individuals buried there,
- Kentucky Cemeteries lists the national cemeteries in Kentucky with links to their web sites. The first link under Online Kentucky Cemeteries goes to the Kentucky section of Interment.net
- Adair Co. KY USGenWeb Tombstone Project usually gives the names of the deceased in alphabetical order by last name with birth and death dates plus any remarks.
- The Family History Library Catalog lists some records of cemeteries in Adair County. Some of the books or others may be on Google Books or available at public libraries.
- ePodunk list of Adair County cemeteries gives the names of the cemeteries in the county with a link to more information such as address, phone number, and web site.
- Adair County Kentucky Cemetery Records at Access Genealogy
- Bennett Cemetery
- Cane Valley Cemetery
- Cemeteries of Adair County at Interment.net
- Hiter Cemetery
- Mt Vernon Cemetery
- Parnell Cemetery
- USGenWeb Archives-Adair County Cemetery Records (Scroll down to find desired topic.)
- 1790 First Census of Kentucky (The area that is now Adair County was located in Lincoln Co. for this Census... The original Federal census has been lost. This index was reconstructed using the tax lists of 1790. It may not be a completely accurate indication of people living in Kentucky during that time.)
- 1795 Tax List of Green County (Adair was the 44th Kentucky county formed, created from Green County on December 11, 1801. This Tax list will have those families listed that were later residents of Adair county.)
- 1802 Tax List of Adair County
- 1810 Federal Census & Index
- 1820 Federal Census & Index
- 1830 Federal Census & Index (separate pg.)
- 1840 Federal Census & Index
- 1850 Federal Census & Index
- 1850 African Americans listed in Federal Census
- 1860 Federal Census & Index
- 1870 Federal Census & Index
- 1880 Federal Census & Index
- 1880 DDS Federal Census Supplement (Federal Census Supplemental Schedules 1-7 Defective, Dependent and Delinquent Classes)
- 1900 Federal Census & Index
- 1920 Federal Census (partial extraction of family surnames)
- 1930 Federal Census & Index
- 1895 School Report Index Report 1, Report 2, Report 3, Report 4 (white students)
- 1895 School Report Index Report 1 (African American students)
- 1913 - 1914 School List Surnames A-I, Surnames J-R, Surnames S-Z
- 1850 Slave Schedule (these are Excel files. Scroll down main Census page)
- 1860 - 1870 Mortality Schedules (these are Excel files. Scroll down main Census page)
1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880, 1900, 1910, 1920, and 1930 federal population schedules of Adair County are available online. For tips on accessing census records online, see Kentucky Census. If you're having trouble finding your ancestors in online indexes, try checking printed indexes. Created by local experts familiar with the area's families, these indexes are often transcribed more accurately than online nationwide indexes.
See Kentucky Population Schedule Indexes: Fiche, Film, or Book for more information about statewide printed indexes.
- USGenWeb Archives-Adair County Kentucky Census Records (Scroll down to find desired topic.)
- USGenWeb Census Project ~ Kentucky Census Transcriptions 1850 - 1930
- The USGenWeb Census Images ~ The USGenWeb Census Images Project
- Kentucky Census Transcriptions ~ The USGenWeb Census Project
- Census Online ~ Census Online
- Adair County Church Records
- Kentucky Christian Church Directory ~ ChurchAngel
- Catholic Parishes in the Diocese of Lexington
- Catholic Parishes in the Archdiocese of Louisville
- Abstracts of Early KY Court Cases Abstracts of Early Supreme Court Cases ~ KYGenWeb Special Project
- Kentucky Court of Justice Research & Reference
- Kentucky Court of Justice-Adair County (contact information for Adair County Circuit Court Clerk)
- Kentucky: State Board of Elections-County Clerks has contact information for all Kentucky County Court Clerks. Scroll down or use index at top of page to find desired county.
It is anticipated that this bibliography will eventually identify all known family histories published about residents of this county. Use this list to:
- Locate publications about direct ancestors
- Find the most updated accounts of an ancestor's family
- Identify publications, to quote Elizabeth Shown Mills, about an ancestor's "FAN Club" [Friends, Associates, and Neighbors]
- [Moss] Moss, T.C. The David Moss Family: Green, Adair, Boyle, Barren, Hart, and Warren Co., Ky.; Williamson and Maury Co., Tenn.; Mississippi. Memphis, Tenn.: T.C. Moss, 1968. FHL Book 929.273 M855mo
- [Trabue] Harper, Lillie DuPuy VanCulin. Colonial Men and Times: Containing the Journal of Col. Daniel Trabue, Some Account of His Ancestry, Life and Travels in Virginia and the Present State of Kentucky During the Revolutionary Period; the Huguenots, Genealogy, with Brief Sketches of the Allied Families. Philadelphia, Pa.: Innes & Sons, 1916. Digital version at Internet Archive; FHL Film 1421709 Item 2.
- Our History at Adair County page of KYGenWeb
- Adair County, Kentucky at Wikipedia
-  ~ The Archives of Appalachia
- KYGenWeb compiled list of maps
- Click on the county to go to the KYGenWeb site
- Adair County Kentucky 1895 at 1895 US Atlas
- Adair County Kentucky Yellow Pages
- Military Resources ~ Revolutionary War through Civil War
- Korean War Memorial Korean War Memorial for Soliders from KY ~ KYGenWeb
- Fallen Soldiers in WWI from KY ~ Fallen Soldiers in WWI from Kentucky
- Adair County, Kentucky World War II Casualties Army and Airforce
- KY Postcards Kentucky Postcards ~ The USGenWeb Archives Penny Postcard Project
- The KYGenWeb Footsteps ~ The Kentucky Footsteps Archives ~ KYGenWeb Special Project
Adair Co., KYGenWeb "News from around Adair"
- Kentucky News - Kentucky Newspaper Index with links
- Another Kentucky Newspaper Index with links
- Kentucky Newspapers on Microfilm - Kentucky Newspapers Available On Microfilm
- Many Kentucky newspapers are filmed and available at the Kentucky State Library. Most of these newspapers may be accessed by interlibrary loan. For further information regarding interlibrary loan policies click
here. For a list of newspapers available at the archives for Adair County click here. This is not a complete list. Several major Kentucky papers are not included in this database but may be found in the Library catalog Infokat: http://infokat.uky.edu Some of these major newspapers are: Lexington Herald, Lexington Leader, Lexington Herald-Leader, Louisville Courier Journal.
- The Adair Progress
98 Grant Lane - Columbia, Kentucky 42728
Ph (270) 384-6471 Fax (270) 384-6474
- USGenWeb Archives has some newspaper articles for the years 1897, 1898, & 1901 online.
"Adair County Clerk of the Circuit Court has Probate Records from 1804 and Court Records from 1802..
Births, Deaths & Marriages
- Adair Co., KYGenWeb ~ Births (includes Delayed Births & Births 1911 - 1980)
- Adair Co., KYGenWeb ~ Deaths & Death Certificates
- Adair Co., KYGenWeb ~ Marriages
USGenWeb Archives has the following files online:
- _ Death Records
- _ Marriage Records
- The Kentucky Vital Records Project Transcriptions of and Images of KY Death Certificates - A Work in Progress ~ The KY Vital Records Project
- KY Births & Christenings ~ Kentucky Births and Christenings, 1839-1960 Family Search
- KY Deaths & Burials ~ KY Deaths & Burials 1843 - 1970
- KY Marriage Records ~ KY Marriages 1783 - 1979 ~ Family Search
- Searchable KY Vital Records ~ Searchable databases of KY Births, Deaths & Marriages
- Kentucky Marriage Records 1973 - 2000 ~ Kentucky Marriage Records - 1973 - 2000
- KY Divorces 1973 - 1993 ~ Kentucky Divorce Records 1973 - 1993 ~ University of Kentucky Vital Records Databases
- The Social Security Death Index The Social Security Death Index - Searchable
Societies and Libraries
- Links and addresses to Kentucky genealogical and historical societies
- ADAIR COUNTY GENEALOGICAL SOCIETY
P.O. BOX 613
COLUMBIA, KENTUCKY 42728
- ADAIR COUNTY LIBRARY
307 Greensburg Street
Columbia, KY 42728
Phone: (270) 384-247
Family History Centers
- KYGenWeb project. Has maps, name indexes, history or other information for each county. Select the county.
- State of Kencucky Website
- USGenWeb Kentucky Archives ~ Kentucky in the USGenWeb Archives ~ Vital statistics, maps, obituaries, Bible records, tombstone transcriptions and many other records.
-  USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Boone County, Kentucky Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Kentucky.gov, Adair County Kentucky
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).