The town of Addison was given permission to incorporate by the General Court of Massachusetts on February 14, 1797. The settlers chose the name in honor of the British writer Joseph Addison. Shipbuilding and quarrying were the major industries. There were 83 vessels built between 1800 and 1900 and four major granite quarries in operation.
Some record loss due to the Great Addison Point village fire in 1938. 
Libraries and Historical Societies
- Wikipedia; Addison, Maine. Accessed 6/24/2016