Difference between revisions of "Aigburth, Lancashire Genealogy"
(corrected closing summary)
m (Text replace - "http://www.1881pubs.com/ for details of public houses in the 1881 census" to "")
|Line 152:||Line 152:|
==== Poor Law Unions<br> ====
==== Poor Law Unions<br> ====
Revision as of 12:13, 29 September 2012
Aigburth was created a chapelry in the county of Lancashire, created in 1844 from Childwall ancient parish.
Aigburth is a suburb of Liverpool, Merseyside. Located to the south of the city, it is bordered by Toxteth, Dingle, and Garston.
Aigburth means "hill where oak trees grow" and is a hybrid place-name: the first part of the name is from Old Norse eikr "oak tree" (which is found in Eikton in Cumbria and Eakring in Nottinghamshire) and Old English beorg meaning " hill, tumulus" but here in the sense "rising ground". This element usually occurs as "-borough" (as in Barlborough in Derbyshire) or more rarely as "-barrow" (e.g. Backbarrow in Cumbria). The meaning is probably derived from the presence of a sacred oak grove in the area. The name was also recorded as Eikberei in an undated record.
The spelling Aigburgh (or, more rarely, Aighburgh) is sometimes found in old publications and historical documents (for example, S. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848)), as well as in modern references to former residents and is occasionally seen as an alternative (if incorrect) spelling today.
The church was built in 1836–37 to a design by Cunningham & Holme. It was founded by a group of local merchants, John Moss, Charles Stewart Parker, John Tinne and Josias Booker and consecrated in 1837. In 1853–54 broad transepts were added and the chancel was extended. The north and south galleries were removed in 1893–94 and in 1913–14 the chancel was further extended.
"AIGBURTH, or Aigburgh, a district chapelry, in the township of Garston, in the parish of Childwall, union and hundred of West Derby, S. division of Lancashire, 4 miles southeast from Liverpool. The chapel, dedicated to St. Anne, was erected in 1837.
A Roman Catholic chapel, dedicated to St. Augustine, was built in 1837,
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Online index of Lancashire Births, Marriages and Deaths Lancashire BMD
Lancashire Online Parish Clerks
An extremely useful resource for research in Lancashire Parishes http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/
Aigburth chapelry's registers of christenings, marriages and burials, along with those of the ancient parish of Childwall, to which it is attached, have been mostly transcribed and are displayed online at the following web sites and ranges of years:
|FS = FamilySearch.org|
|LOPC = Lancashire Online Parish Clerk project|
|FMP = FindMyPast.co.uk|
|LBMD = LancashireBMD.org.uk|
|AC = Ancestry.co.uk|
|AIGBURTH ST ANDREW Chapelry (1815) Indexes - a.k.a. Liverpool St Andrew|
|AIGBURTH ST ANNE Chapelry (1837) Indexes|
|AIGBURTH ST-MICHAEL-IN-THE-HAMLET Chapelry (1815) Indexes|
|CHILDWALL ALL SAINTS PARISH (1557) Indexes (ancient parish containing AIGBURTH)|
For a full list of all those chapels surrounding Aigburth and comprising the whole ancient parish of Childwall to which it was attached, be certain to see "Church Records" on the CHILDWALL PARISH page.
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 306899.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Lancashire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Pollard, Richard; Nikolaus Pevsner (2006), The Buildings of England: Lancashire: Liverpool and the South-West, New Haven & London: Yale University Press, p. 380, ISBN 0 300 10910 5
| This section requires expansion with:
any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above..
http://www.imagesofengland.org.uk/details/default.aspx?pid=1&id=213625 English heritage web reference
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 15-17. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=50745 Date accessed: 25 June 2010.<br>