Aigburth, Lancashire Genealogy
Aigburth was created a chapelry in the county of Lancashire, created in 1844 from Childwall ancient parish.
Aigburth is a suburb of Liverpool, Merseyside. Located to the south of the city, it is bordered by Toxteth, Dingle, and Garston.
Aigburth means "hill where oak trees grow" and is a hybrid place-name: the first part of the name is from Old Norse eikr "oak tree" (which is found in Eikton in Cumbria and Eakring in Nottinghamshire) and Old English beorg meaning " hill, tumulus" but here in the sense "rising ground". This element usually occurs as "-borough" (as in Barlborough in Derbyshire) or more rarely as "-barrow" (e.g. Backbarrow in Cumbria). The meaning is probably derived from the presence of a sacred oak grove in the area. The name was also recorded as Eikberei in an undated record.
The spelling Aigburgh (or, more rarely, Aighburgh) is sometimes found in old publications and historical documents (for example, S. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848)), as well as in modern references to former residents and is occasionally seen as an alternative (if incorrect) spelling today.
The church was built in 1836–37 to a design by Cunningham & Holme. It was founded by a group of local merchants, John Moss, Charles Stewart Parker, John Tinne and Josias Booker and consecrated in 1837. In 1853–54 broad transepts were added and the chancel was extended. The north and south galleries were removed in 1893–94 and in 1913–14 the chancel was further extended.
"AIGBURTH, or Aigburgh, a district chapelry, in the township of Garston, in the parish of Childwall, union and hundred of West Derby, S. division of Lancashire, 4 miles (S. E.) from Liverpool; containing 1031 inhabitants. The chapel, dedicated to St. Anne, was erected in 1837, at a cost of £4000, and is a good edifice in the Norman style, with a highly decorated interior; the east window is of stained glass, representing Christ healing the Leper: the tower is 65 feet high, with a richly ornamented battlement. A Roman Catholic chapel, dedicated to St. Augustine, was built in 1837, at an expense of £1800; it is in the early English style, with a neat interior, and adjoining are a school. Also a school for boys and girls in connexion with the Established Church, is supported by subscription.
From: Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 15-17. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=50745 Date accessed: 25 June 2010.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Online index of Lancashire Births, Marriages and Deaths Lancashire BMD
Lancashire Online Parish Clerks
An extremely useful resource for research in Lancashire Parishes http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/
Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection
| This section requires expansion with:
any unique information, such as the census for X year was destroyed.
http://www.1881pubs.com/ for details of public houses in the 1881 census
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Lancashire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Pollard, Richard; Nikolaus Pevsner (2006), The Buildings of England: Lancashire: Liverpool and the South-West, New Haven & London: Yale University Press, p. 380, ISBN 0 300 10910 5
Add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.
http://www.imagesofengland.org.uk/details/default.aspx?pid=1&id=213625 English heritage web reference