Alabama, United States Genealogy
- This article is about the southern U.S. state. For other uses, see Alabama (disambiguation).
|Alabama Wiki Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
|Welcome to Alabama, Heart of Dixie|
Spanish explorers are believed to have arrived at Mobile Bay in 1519, and the territory was visited in 1540 by the explorer Hernando de Soto. The first permanent European settlement in Alabama was founded by the French at Fort Louis de la Mobile in 1702. The British gained control of the area in 1763 by the Treaty of Paris, but had to cede almost all the Alabama region to the U.S. and Spain after the American Revolution. The Confederacy was founded at Montgomery in February 1861, and, for a time, the city was the Confederate capital.
Did You Know?
- Internet link to Alabama research, regimental histories, Confederate research, and a groom to bride index. Read more...
- Infamous Alabama ancestors are at Alabama Blacksheep Ancestors?
- Find which county a town is in, what town a cemetery is in, even where a postoffice or building is by using the United States Geographical Survey's Geographical Names Information System.
- David Rumsey Map Collection is a large online collection of rare, old, antique historical atlases, globes, maps, charts plus other cartographic treasures.
- The Alabama GenWeb Project has a wealth of information and is a part of the larger USGenWeb Project. The USGenWeb Project provides internet information on every county in every state in the United States.
- Courthouse addresses for all 67 counties.
Things You Can Do
In order to make this wiki a better research tool, we need your help! Many tasks need to be done. You can help by: