Albourne, Sussex Genealogy
ALBOURNE, a parish in Cuckfield district, Sussex; 3½ miles W of Hassock's Gate railway station, and 6½ SW of Cuckfield. The church is an ancient structure; the nave is separated from the chancel by a fine Norman arch, and there is a north transept. See also.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
This parish was part of Cuckfield registration district from September 1837. see further details To apply for certificates please contact
Centralised Certificates Office
West Sussex Record Office
Albourne, Sussex Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|BIVRI = British Isles Vital Records Index (Ancestry) - (£)|
|IGI = International Genealogical Index (FamilySearch) - free|
|PRTS = The Parish Register Transcription Society - (£)|
|SOPC = Sussex Online Parish Clerks - free|
|Albourne, Sussex Genealogy Parish Online Records|
||1605-1732, 1752-1763, 1813-1876||
||1605-1732, 1752-1886|| |
West Sussex Record Office has deposited parish Registers Bap 1550-1580, 1601-1900 Marr 1605-1707, 1813-1975 Bur 1605-1899 Bishop's Transcripts 1606-1893
Link to the Family History Library Catalogue showing the film numbers in their collection Albourne
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 474673.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Sussex Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales, (1870-72). Date accessed: 16 September 2013.
- Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 20-26.. Date accessed and adapted: 13 December 2013
- 'British Isles Vital Records Index - 2nd Ed. Breakdown of Records', Genoot, accessed 30 December 2013.
- Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Sussex, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 3 January 2014.
- 'Parish Records - Coverage', The Parish Register Transcription Society, accessed 15 December 2013.
- Sussex Online Parish Clerks, accessed 7 January 2014.