Aldford, Cheshire Genealogy
Aldford St John the Baptist is an Ancient parish and includes: Buerton, Edgerley, Churton by Aldford, and Buerton near Chester.
The church was built in 1866 on the site of a previous church to a design by John Douglas at the expense of Richard Grosvenor, 2nd Marquess of Westminster.
The church is built in red sandstone with a grey-green slate roof and a shingled spire.
Both the pulpit and the font are in marble. The reredos contains five panels of mosaics by Salviati. The stained glass in the east window of the chapel dates from the 19th century and was made by Morris & Co. to a design by Burne-Jones. In the church are memorials some of which have come from the previous church. These include a monument to the memory of Lieut. Job Watson Royle who was killed in 1812 at the Battle of Badajoz. Another memorial is a wooden tablet to Frances Jones who died in 1719. In the vestry is a benefaction board covering the period 1682–1723. At the base of the tower is a list of rectors going back to about 1300.
Aldford, St. John the Baptist (C of E). An ancient parish church, serving the townships of Aldford, Buerton, Churton by Aldford and Edgerley. The church was rebuilt in 1866. Registers of baptisms 1639–1919, marriages 1641–2002 and burials 1639–1858 have been deposited at the Cheshire Record Office, where Bishop's Transcripts survive from 1599.
Parish registers for Aldford, Cheshire, 1639-1982 Cheshire Record Office call number: P91/1/1-3, 2/1-2, P91/3/1-2, P91/5352/1, P91/4.
Romily or Chadkirk was a chapelry in Stockport parish.
Early registers (baptisms, marriages to 1754, burials), 1639-1812 (Includes baptisms, marriages and burials from Romily). Baptisms, 1813-1919. Marriages and banns, 1754-1812. Marriages, 1813-1933. FHL BRITISH Film 2106919 Items 11 - 18
Marriages, 1932-1982. Burials, 1813-1858. Churchyard graves list, 1854. FHL BRITISH Film 2106920 Items 1 - 3
Bishop's transcripts for Aldford, 1599-1915 Microfilm of original records in the Cheshire Record Office, Chester, England.
Cheshire Record Office call number: EDB 3 Baptisms, marriages, burials, 1599, 1604-1605, 1610, 1613-1614, 1617-1620, 1622-1630, 1641, 1662-1671, 1676-1677, 1679, 1680, 1679, 1696, 1681, 1691, 1685, 1695, 1682, 1684, 1683, 1697, 1699, 1701-1724, 1726-1826, 1829-1830, 1827-1828, 1831-1838, 1840-1841 Baptisms, burials, 1842-1850 FHL BRITISH Film
1647804 Item 2
Baptisms, burials, 1850-1852 Baptisms, marriages, burials, 1853-1857 Baptisms, burials, 1862-1866 Baptisms, marriages, burials, 1870-1871, 1869, 1868-1865 (filmed backwards), 1872-1882 Baptisms, burials, 1883-1889, 1891-1899, 1901, 1900, 1902, 1913-1915 FHL BRITISH Film 1647805 Item 1
Aldford, Methodist Chapel (Primitive). Built in 1891, closed in 1979. Registers 1963–1974 are at the Cheshire Record Office.
Methodism was introduced into Chester c.1746 and the first local Methodist Society was formed at the home of Richard Jones in Love Lane in 1751. The growth of Methodism was encouraged by visiting preachers, including the Rev. John Wesley, who made periodic visits. In 1764, the Chester Society built the Octagon Chapel at the Bars, Foregate Street, which became the headquarters of an extensive circuit. A small group seceded from the Octagon Chapel c.1795, to form an independent society in Trinity Street, which later joined the Methodist New Connexion, also known as the United Methodist Church. In the early 1820s, Primitive Methodism, a rival branch to the Wesleyans, came to Chester. The first meeting place was in Steven Street and in 1823, a chapel was built in Steam Mill Street. Support for Primitive Methodism grew rapidly and by 1889, there were three circuits based upon Chester, as opposed to the single Wesleyan circuit. In 1932, the three main branches of Methodism (Wesleyan, Primitive and United Methodist) came together to form the Methodist Church. However, there remained four separate circuits based upon Chester until 1959 and the final unification of the circuits took place in 1963. From an early period, Methodist churches were organised in circuits, each of which was based upon a headquarters church and served by a number of preachers, who visited the churches in rotation. This organisation is reflected in the records, some of which relate specifically to the circuits and others to the numerous circuit churches, many of which have now closed. Circuit records include minute books; schedule books; account books; roll books of class members; circuit plans and circuit reports. Records of churches include baptism and marriage registers; minute books; account books; roll books; correspondence; and printed material. In addition to the records referred to below, there are unlisted records relating to various circuits and churches comprising 24 bundles, 18 other items, c.1815-1983 (CR 55; CR 459) Circuits St. John Street (CR 55/1-42; CR 55/2/1-10) This circuit was established c.1765, with headquarters at the Octagon Chapel until 1812, when the Wesleyans moved to St. John Street. It amalgamated with Hunter Street Circuit in 1959. 49 volumes., 1 bundle, 2 other items. 1788-1963 George Street (CR 55/130; CR 55/2/11-13; CR 78/1-38; CR 94/1-29) This Primitive Methodist circuit was established in 1825, with headquarters in Steam Mill Street. The circuit headquarters moved to George Street in 1863 and in 1963, it amalgamated with Grosvenor Park Circuit and Tarvin Road Circuit. 61 volumes., 10 bundles 1834-1970 Hunter Street (CR 55/133-141; CR 226/13-18, 20, 22, 24-32, 34) This Primitive Methodist circuit was established in 1874, with headquarters in Commonhall Street. The circuit headquarters moved to Hunter Street in 1899 and in 1959, it amalgamated with St. John Street Circuit. 27 volumes. 1874-1959 Tarvin Road (CR 55/156-165; CR 94/38) This Primitive Methodist circuit was established in 1889, with headquarters in Tarvin Road. It amalgamated with Grosvenor Park Circuit and Hunter Street Circuit in 1963. 9 volumes., 2 bundles. 1890-1963 Grosvenor Park (CR 55/171-173; CR 2/14-18) This circuit was established in 1959, when St. John Street Circuit amalgamated with Hunter Street Circuit. In 1963, it amalgamated with George Street Circuit to form the present Chester Circuit. 5 volumes., 2 bundles, 1 other item 1953-63 Chester (CR 55/2/19-25) This circuit was established in 1963. 4 bundles, 3 other items 1958-82 Churches Aldford (CR 55/2/26-31) This church opened in 1891, replacing a previous church built in 1883. It closed in 1979. Its records include a baptism register, 1963-74. 3 volumes., 2 docs., 1 other item 1861-1979
Poor Law Unions
- Great Boughton (1837–71)
- Tarvin (1871–1930)
- Great Boughton (1837–69)
- Chester (1870–1937)
- West Cheshire (1937–74)
- Chester & Ellesmere Port (1974–98)
- Cheshire West (1998+)
Registration events may be searched online at Cheshire BMD