All Hallows, London Wall, London Genealogy
The modern name of this parish is All Hallows on the Wall.
"All Hallows, London Wall, the church of, stands a little westward of Broad Street in London wall, whence it derives its name. It is a rectory, in the patronage of which was anciently in the prior and convent of the Holy Trinity, near Aldgate, who in 1335 presented it Thomas Richer De Sanston. At the dissolution of religious houses in the reign of Henry VIII, this church, with the priory to which it belonged, was surrendered to the crown, in whose gift the advowson still remains. It escaped the fire in 1666, but became latterly so ruinous that in 1765 the parishioners obtained an act of Parliament to pull it down and rebuild it; which they did... It is a plain substantial church, of brick and stone, with a well proportioned stone tower and cupola."
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
|Online All Hallows, London Wall Parish Register Images and Indexes|
|Images||1559-1812 Ancestry baptisms, marriages, and burials|
To find the names of the neighbouring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes. Contributor: Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts, nonconformist and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection. Here is a list of church records on microfilm at the Family History Library (FHL) in Salt Lake City.
- 1582 London Subsidy Roll - St Peters the Poore & Alhalloes in the Wall Parishes, courtesy: British History Online
1638 Inhabitants List
Contributor: Include an overview if there is any unique information, such as the census for X year was destroyed. Add a link to online sites for indexes and/or images. Also add a link to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to London Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Find A Grave has started a page on burials at All Hallows on the Wall Church.
Poor Law Unions
Contributor: Add information about the pertinent poor law unions in the area.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- All Hallows on the Wall (official website)
- London Family History Centre Catalogue (All Hallows, London Wall Parish Church records)
- Sketch of All Hallows London Wall Parish Church, courtesy: London Ancestor
- Society of Genealogists Library Catalogue (to narrow results, conduct a subject search for 'London All Hallows London Wall')
- James Elmes, M.R. I. A., Architect, A Topographical Dictionary of London and its Envirions (London: Whittaker, Treacher and Arnot, 1831). Adapted. Digital version: Google Books.
- London Subsidy Roll, c.1589 - Allhallowes in the wall parishe, courtesy: Family History Archives (see page 149)
- London, England, Baptisms, Marriages, and Burials, 1538-1812, courtesy: Ancestry ($). Described as All Hallows London Wall in the City of London. Marriages from 1754 to 1813 are not included in this database. Partially indexed.
- London, England, Births and Baptisms, 1813-1906, courtesy: Ancestry ($). Described as All Hallows London Wall in the City of London. Partially indexed.
- London, England, Marriages and Banns, 1754-1921, courtesy: Ancestry ($). Described as All Hallows London Wall in the City of London. Partially indexed.
- London, England, Deaths and Burials, 1813-1980, courtesy: Ancestry ($). Described as All Hallows London Wall in the City of London. Partially indexed.
- Batches P000851-P000852, C000853-C000854, see: Hugh Wallis, "IGI Batch Numbers for London including Middlesex (A-M), England," IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 8 June 2011. Indexes parish register transcripts.
- Batches M000851-M000852, see: Hugh Wallis, "IGI Batch Numbers for London including Middlesex (A-M), England," IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 8 June 2011. Indexes parish register transcripts.
- "Boyd's London Burials Index - places and counts," Find My Past, accessed 8 June 2011. Indexes adult male burials only.
- "Boyd's Marriage Index - Parish details by county," Origins.net, accessed 12 June 2011; Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists Enterprises Ltd., 1994). FHL Book 942 K22L 1994
- John Hanson, "City of London Burials," Find My Past, accessed 8 June 2011.
- "Webb's London Marriages - Marriages, periods and parishes/churches," British Origins, accessed 4 July 2011.
- Pallot's Marriage and Birth Indexes, Guide to Parishes (n.p.: n.p., n.d.). FHL British Book 942 V25pm