Allegan County, Michigan Genealogy
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Allegan County Courthouse
113 Chestnut St.
Allegan, MI 49010-1362
Phone: (616) 673-0450
Organized 7 Sep 1835
County Clerk has birth and death records from from 1867,
marriage records from 1835, divorce, court and land records from 1836
and military discharge records.
Probate Court has probate records from 1836. 
- Cities: Allegan . Douglas . Fennville . Holland . Otsego . Plainwell . Saugatuck . South Haven . Wayland
- Villages: Hopkins . Martin
- Townships: Allegan . Casco . Cheshire . Clyde . Dorr . Fillmore . Ganges . Gun Plain . Heath . Hopkins . Laketown . Lee . Leighton . Manlius . Martin . Monterey . Otsego . Overisel . Salem . Saugatuck . Trowbridge . Valley . Watson . Wayland
- Communities: Bradley . Bravo . Burnips . Cheshire, Chicora . Dorr . Dunningville . East Saugatuck . Fillmore . Ganges . Glenn . Graafschap . Hamilton . Hilliards . Macatawa . Moline . Monterey . New Richmond . Overisel . Pearl . Pullman . Shelbyville . Watson
1898 South Haven Directory This directory includes Casco Township residents and lists the township section number, whether owned or rented, and number of acres.
Civil War service men from Allegan County served in various regiments. Men often joined a regiment or a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are the military units that were formed in or had many men from Allegan County.
- - 17th Regiment, Michigan Infantry, Company E
Southwest Michigan Obituary Index from the earliest date to 2000.
- Michigan Birth Registrations, 1867-1902 -- Free name indexes and images at FamilySearch. Records include such information as name of child, birthdate and place, if still-born, illegitimate or twin, gender, race and record number.
- Michigan Marriage Registrations, 1868-1925 -- Free name indexes at FamilySearch. Records include such information as names of bride and groom, date of license, ages, race, residences, birthplaces, occupations and names of the fathers of the bride and groom.
- Michigan Death Registrations, 1867-1897-- Free name indexes and images at FamilySearch. Records include such information as name of deceased, date and place of death, gender, color, marital status, age in years, months and days, disease or apparent cause of death, birthplace, names and occupations of parents, and the date the record was made.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- The Allegan County MIGenWeb Project, an member of The MIGenWeb Project, an affiliate of The USGenWeb Project.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Allegan County, Michigan page 343, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).