Allegany County, Maryland Genealogy
- This article is about a western Maryland county. For other uses, see Allegany.
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 Quick History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Allegany County Office Complex
701 Kelly Road, Suite 407
Cumberland, MD 21502
ph: (301) 777-5911
The name Allegany comes from the Allegheny Mountains. "Allegany" itself, derived from a local Native American word, oolikhanna, means "beautiful stream."
Variant Place Names
- Mount Savage > Arnold Settlement, Corriganville, Jennings, Jennings Run, Jennons Run, Luthworth
For cemeteries in or very near cities or towns, please refer to populated places above.
- 1850 Slave
- 1860 Slave
- 1890 Veterans
Maryland State Archives' Guide to Maryland Religious Institutions identifies all churches known to have existed in Allegany County, Maryland. It covers all denominations and includes record descriptions. The following records from their collection have been digitized and made available to view for free online:
- Methodist Episcopal, First Methodist Episcopal Church, Registers 1838-1852, 1859-1870, 1870-1892, 1892-1915, 1914-1928 "One Hundredth Anniversary of Organization and Rededication 1832-1932"
- Roman Catholic, St. Michael's Church, Baptismal Registers, 1852-1910; Marriage Registers 1852-1871; Pew Book 1861-1864; Creditors of the Church 1853-1857; Subscribers 1857; Invested Persons; Indexes
- Roman Catholic, St. Michael's Church, Marriage Register 1946-1984; Interments 1920-1984; Confirmations 1868-1940, 1943-1966, 1975-1985; First Communions 1923-1983
- Roman Catholic, St. Patrick's Church, General Register, 1818-1884 (baptisms, communions, marriages, confessions, deaths, cemetery records, renunciation of secret societies, choir subscriptions, and indexes)
- Roman Catholic, St. Patrick's Church, Marriage Register 1932-1983; Interments 1885-1939
Through a Joint eGovernment Service of the Maryland Judiciary and the Maryland State Archives, free images and indexes of the complete series of Allegany County Deed Books (1791-present) have been uploaded to their website: MDLandRec.Net: A Digital Image Retrieval System for Land Records in Maryland. (Requires free registration.)
Other Allegany County land resources include:
- Allegany County newspapers are identified in "Guide to Maryland Newspapers," available online, courtesy: Special Collections, Maryland State Archives.
- "Index to Wills of Allegany County, Md., 1784-1850," The Maryland and Delaware Genealogist, Vol. 31, No. 1 (Winter 1990):10-11; Vol. 31, No. 2 (Spring 1990):50-51; Vol. 31, No. 3 (Summer 1990):90-91. FHL US/CAN Book 975 B2m.
- Allegany County Marriage Records
- Marriage Licenses of Allegany County 1847-1865
- Marriage Licenses of Allegany County 1865-1873
- Maryland Death Certificate Index 1898-1944, available online, courtesy: Vital Records Indexing Project, Maryland State Archives.
Societies and Libraries
- The Allegany County MDGenWeb Project, a member of The MDGenWeb Project, an affiliate of The USGenWeb Project.
- The USGenWeb Archives Project for Allegany County.
- The USGenWeb Archives Project for Allegany County. (backup site)
- FamilySearch.org Family History Library Catalog for Allegany County.
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), 181. [FHL book 973 D27e 2002].