Alleghany County, Virginia Compiled Genealogies
Has anyone studied my Alleghany County, Virginia Genealogy before?
More than 10 family history books and articles have been published about Alleghany County's families.
- Main article: Alleghany County, Virginia
- Alleghany County, VA Genealogy Forum, courtesy: GenForum.
- Alleghany - Family History & Genealogy Message Board, courtesy: Ancestry.
Alleghany County, Virginia Surnames (courtesy: Linkpendium) contains links to more than 20 online resources about this county's families, including compiled genealogies.
Compiled genealogies that treat multiple Alleghany County families include:
- Alleghany County Heritage Book Committee. Alleghany County Heritage. Summersville, W.Va.: Shirley Grose & Associates, c1997. FHL Book 975.581 H2a v. 1.
- Morton, Oren Frederic. A Centennial History of Alleghany County, Virginia. Dayton, Va.: J.K. Ruebush Co., 1923. Digital version at Ancestry ($); FHL Book 975.581 H2m.
- Turk, David Scott. The Memorialists: An Antebellum History of Alleghany, Craig and Monroe counties of West Virginia, 1812-60. Bowie, Md.: Heritage Books, c1997. FHL Book 975.5 H2td.
It is anticipated that this bibliography will eventually identify all known family histories published about residents of this county. Use this list to:
- Locate publications about direct ancestors
- Find the most updated accounts of an ancestor's family
- Identify publications, to quote Elizabeth Shown Mills, about an ancestor's "FAN Club" [Friends, Associates, and Neighbors]
- [Fudge] Clark, Bertha Lewis. The Fudge Family of Rockingham County, Virginia and Alleghany Co., Virginia, Monroe Co., West Virginia. Microfilmed 1971. FHL 873159 Item 1
- [Gillespie] Trimble, David B. Buchanan and Gillespie of Southwest Virginia. Austin, Texas: D.B. Trimble, 1992. FHL 975.5 D2tda.
- [Hart] Burress, Marjorie. "Hart and Skeen Family History Written in 1865," The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 23, No. 3 (Jul.-Sep. 1979):199-200. Digital version at American Ancestors ($); FHL Book 975.5 B2vg.
- [Humphries] Humphries, R. Humphries Genealogical Chart, Descendents of John Humphries, Richpatch, Alleghany County, Virginia. Microfilmed 1993. FHL US/CAN Pedigree File no. 695.
- [King] King, Theresa Mary Fraenzel Betts. Book of Remembrance of Theresa F. King, Born 1913, Alleghany County, Virginia. MSS., microfilmed 1965. FHL 414975-FHL 414977
- [Persinger] Humphries, Howard V. The Persingers of Alleghany County, Virginia, 1750-1965. Microfilmed 1993. FHL US/CAN Pedigree File no. 693.
- [Skeen] Burress, Marjorie. "Hart and Skeen Family History Written in 1865," The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 23, No. 3 (Jul.-Sep. 1979):199-200. Digital version at American Ancestors ($); FHL Book 975.5 B2vg.
- [Smith] Humphries, Howard V. Descendants of John Crockett Smith and Susannah Harless, Blue Spring Run, Alleghany County, Virginia. FHL US/CAN Pedigree File no. 694.
- [Smith] Machir, Violette S. Some Chapman, Jolly, Rayburn and Smith Families in W.Va. & Ohio. Middleport, Ohio: Quality Print Shop, 1966. FHL Fiche 6017211.