Alpena County, Michigan Genealogy
|This article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
Please review the contributor help to assist you in editing.
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
1840--Alpena County was created 1 April 1840 from Mackinac County and unorganized territory. It was formerly Anamickee County, until the name was changed to Alpena 8 March 1843. Alpena county was attached to Mackinac and Cheboygan Counties prior to organization 7 February 1857.
County seat: Alpena 
- City: Alpena
- Village: none
- Townships: Alpena . Green . Long Rapids . Maple Ridge . Ossineke . Sanborn . Wellington . Wilson
- Communities: Bolton . Cathro . Herron . Hubbard Lake . Lachine . Leer . Ossineke . Spratt
Alpena County is part of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Gaylord.
Societies and Libraries
- Family History Library Catalog
- The Alpena County MIGenWeb Project, an member of The MIGenWeb Project, an affiliate of The USGenWeb Project.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).