Alpena County, Michigan Genealogy
|This article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
Please review the contributor help to assist you in editing.
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
1840--Alpena County was created 1 April 1840 from Mackinac County and unorganized territory. It was formerly Anamickee County, until the name was changed to Alpena 8 March 1843. Alpena county was attached to Mackinac and Cheboygan Counties prior to organization 7 February 1857.
County seat: Alpena 
- City: Alpena
- Village: none
- Townships: Alpena . Green . Long Rapids . Maple Ridge . Ossineke . Sanborn . Wellington . Wilson
- Communities: Bolton . Cathro . Herron . Hubbard Lake . Lachine . Leer . Ossineke . Spratt
Alpena County is part of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Gaylord.
==== Vital Recor*Michigan Birth Registrations, 1867-1902 -- Free name indexes and images at FamilySearch - Pilot. Records include such information as name of child, birthdate and place, if still-born, illegitimate or twin, gender, race and record number.
- Michigan Marriage Registrations, 1868-1925 -- Free name indexes at FamilySearch - Pilot. Records include such information as names of bride and groom, date of license, ages, race, residences, birthplaces, occupations and names of the fathers of the bride and groom.
- Michigan Death Registrations, 1867-1897-- Free name indexes and images at FamilySearch - Pilot. Records include such information as name of deceased, date and place of death, gender, color, marital status, age in years, months and days, disease or apparent cause of death, birthplace, names and occupations of parents, and the date the record was made.ds ====
Societies and Libraries
- Family History Library Catalog
- The Alpena County MIGenWeb Project, an member of The MIGenWeb Project, an affiliate of The USGenWeb Project.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).