United States Maine Penobscot Alton
Alton (Penobscot Co.) was first organized as part of Argyle Plantation prior to 1839 from Old Indian Township Number 3 West of Penobscot River (T3 OIP WPR). It was also known as the Maine Literary and Theological Institute Grant, also known as the Birch Stream Settlement. The plantation was incorporated as the Town of Argyle in 1839. The Moor Tract was set off to Old Town in 1843. Land was also set off to form Alton in 1844.
Libraries and Historical Societies
Adjacent towns: Penobscot Co.: Argyle | Bradford | Hudson | Lagrange | Old Town