Altoona Pennsylvania Family History Center
|This article describes the services and resources available at a Family History Center, a branch facility of the Family History Library.|
Location & Map:
Address 778 Lower Brush Mountain Rd. Hollidaysburg, PA 16648
location about 1/2 mile off Frankstown Rd in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints
- (This is not a mailing address. Due to limited staff, Family History Centers are unable to respond to mail inquiries.)
- Enter parking lot and use side door of building. Look for sign.
- Please ring door bell to gain access during center's operating hours.
- Location on Map
- Monday 9am-1pm
- Wednesday 9am-4pm and 6:30pm-8pm
- Saturday 9am-1pm
Holiday Schedule: Closed Easter Weekend, Memorial Day Weekend, 4th of July Weekend, Labor Day Weekend and From Thanksgiving till the New Year. Also Closed on the 1st Saturday in April and October.
In case of bad weather, the Center is closed if the Schools are closed. If in doubt, please call before.
Calendar and Events
Staff Training Meetings
- Family History Library Catalog: You may now order films yourself from the Family History Library directly online from any computer at the website https://www.familysearch.org/#form=catalog .
- The Altoona FHC has hundreds of microfilms in our inventory. We also have an Index to the George H Liebegott Collection that is housed in the Martinsburg Library. We also have several family histories in book form as well as on film and fiche. As well as Henshaw's Encyclopedia of Quaker Genealogy (all volumes on fiche).
- FHC Portal: This center has access to the Family History Center Portal page which gives free access in the center to premium family history websites that generally charge for subscriptions. Including: Ancestry, Fold 3 (formerly Footnote), Heritage Quest, Newspaper Archives, World Vital Records, Godfrey Memorial Library,
- Hardware and Equipment We have 4 computers that have access to the internet. We also have microfilm and fiche readers and printer to make copies.
Staff Research Specialties
Resources in the Local Area
The Blair County Genealogical Society is just a short distance away.
Here is their weblink http://www.bcgslibrary.org/
http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~pacblack/interest.html (Blacklick Twp, Cambria)
Volunteer at the Center
We are in need of people that can read and tranlate foreign languages to assist other patrons. If you have that skill, please email Tina at PA_AltoonaWard@ldsmail.net