Difference between revisions of "Alvanley, Cheshire Genealogy"
Revision as of 22:48, 5 April 2010
Alvanley St John the Evangelist was created as chapelry in the ancient parish of Frodsham. In the present church is a wooden board giving the list of curates since 1677 and vicars since 1861
The church was built in 1860 to a design by J. S. Crowther at the expense of Catherine Emma Arden, the youngest daughter of Richard Arden, 1st Baron Alvanley.
Here is a list of the districts that included Alvanley from 1837, with dates of inclusion.
- Runcorn (1837–1974)
- Vale Royal (1974–98)
- Cheshire Central (1998–2009)
- Cheshire West (2009+)
Church of England (Anglican)
Alvanley is a township-chapelry in Frodsham parish. The church is known as St. John the Evangelist. The original records are at the Cheshire Record Office:
- Parish registers of christenings 1809-1970, marriage banns 1861-1953, burials 1791-1885. CRO call number: P 81/1/1, P 81/2/1-2, P 81/3, P 81/4.
- Bishop's transcripts for Alvanley, 1811-1877. CRO call number: EDB 7.
The parish is included in the Cheshire Parishes collection on Record Search at FamilySearch.org.
Here is a list of the parish registers available on microfilm at the Family History Library in Salt Lake City:
|Baptisms, burials, 1791-1812. Baptisms, 1813-1970. Banns of marriages, 1861-1953.|| FHL Film |
2186838 Items 10 - 13
|Burials, 1813-1885.|| FHL Film |
2186839 Item 1
Here is a list of the Bishop's transcripts available on microfilm at the Family History Library in Salt Lake City:
|Baptisms, burials, 1811-1829, 1831, 1830, 1832-1846, 1848-1853, baptisms, 1850-1851, burials, 1853-1856, baptisms, 1854, 1853-1856, 1854-1855, burials, 1854, 1856-1860, 1858, 1860, baptisms, 1858, 1857, 1856-1860, 1859, 1860, 1859, 1860-1865, burials, 1860-1866, baptisms, 1865-1868, burials, 1866-1868, baptisms, burials, 1873, baptisms, 1874.|| FHL Film |
1595461 Item 3
|Baptisms, 1874-1877, burials, 1874-1877.|| FHL Film |
1595462 Item 1
There were no known nonconformist congregations in Alvanley.
Poor Law Unions
From 1835, Avanley was in the Poor Law Union of Runcorn.
Before 1858, Avanley, along with the rest of the county of Cheshire, was under the probate jurisdiction of the Court of the Bishop of Chester (Episcopal Consistory). Click on the link to the court for information on access to records and indexes.
Morant, Roland W. (1989), Cheshire Churches, Birkenhead: Countyvise, p. 96, ISBN 0 907768 18 0