Alvanley, Cheshire Genealogy
Alvanley St John the Evangelist was created as chapelry in the ancient parish of Frodsham. In the present church is a wooden board giving the list of curates since 1677 and vicars since 1861
The church was built in 1860 to a design by J. S. Crowther at the expense of Catherine Emma Arden, the youngest daughter of Richard Arden, 1st Baron Alvanley.
Here is a list of the districts that included Avanley from 1837, with dates of inclusion.
- Runcorn (1837–1974)
- Vale Royal (1974–98)
- Cheshire Central (1998–2009)
- Cheshire West (2009+)
The parish is included in the Cheshire Parishes collection on Record Search.
Alvanley is a township-chapelry in Frodsham parish. The church is known as St. John the Evangelist.
Cheshire Record Office call number: P 81/1/1, P 81/2/1-2, P 81/3, P 81/4.
|Baptisms, burials, 1791-1812. Baptisms, 1813-1970. Banns of marriages, 1861-1953.|| FHL Film |
2186838 Items 10 - 13
|Burials, 1813-1885.|| FHL Film |
2186839 Item 1
Bishop's transcripts for Alvanley, 1811-1877 Formerly a chapelry in Frodsham parish. Cheshire Record Office call number: EDB 7
|Baptisms, burials, 1811-1829, 1831, 1830, 1832-1846, 1848-1853, baptisms, 1850-1851, burials, 1853-1856, baptisms, 1854, 1853-1856, 1854-1855, burials, 1854, 1856-1860, 1858, 1860, baptisms, 1858, 1857, 1856-1860, 1859, 1860, 1859, 1860-1865, burials, 1860-1866, baptisms, 1865-1868, burials, 1866-1868, baptisms, burials, 1873, baptisms, 1874.|| FHL Film |
1595461 Item 3
|Baptisms, 1874-1877, burials, 1874-1877.|| FHL Film |
1595462 Item 1
There were no known nonconformist congregations in Avanley until
Poor Law Unions
From 1835, Avanley was in the Poor Law Union of Runcorn.
Before 1858, Avanley, along with the whole of the county of Cheshire, was under probate jurisdiction of the Court of the Bishop of Chester (Episcopal Consistory). ReaClick on the link to the court for information on access to records and indexes.
Morant, Roland W. (1989), Cheshire Churches, Birkenhead: Countyvise, p. 96, ISBN 0 907768 18 0