Ampthill, Bedfordshire Genealogy
AMPTHILL, a small town, a park, a parish, a subdistrict, and a district, in Bedfordshire. The town is 7 miles S by W of Bedford. It has a head post office, a parish church, three chapels for Independents, Wesleyan Methodists, and Quakers.  
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Civil Registration District: Woburn
To find the names of the neighbouring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.
- Original parish registers exist at the Bedfordshire County Record Office from 1538 - 1992
- Parish records have been extracted and exist on the IGI from 1538 - 1885 - Click to access the Bedfordshire page on Hugh Wallis and query the IGI
- The Society of Genealogists has parish registers from 1538 - 1909
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Bedfordshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Poor Law Unions
Contributor: Add information about the pertinent poor law unions in the area.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- [www.visionofbritain.org.uk/descriptions/entry_page.jsp?text_id=885000fckLRWilson, John M., Imperial Gazetteer of England &amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp; Wales, publ. London &amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp; Edinburgh: 1870]
- [www.visionofbritain.org.uk/descriptions/entry_page.jsp?text_id=885000fckLRfckLRWilson, John M., Imperial Gazetteer of England &amp;amp;amp;amp;amp; Wales, publ. London &amp;amp;amp;amp;amp; Edinburgh: 1870]
- [http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/descriptions/entry_page.jsp?text_id=885000 John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)]
See Arlesey's page on GENUKI.org.uk.