Anderson County, South Carolina Genealogy
- This article is about a northwestern South Carolina county. For other uses, see Anderson.
|This article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
Please review the contributor help to assist you in editing.
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Websites
- 7 References
1826--Anderson County was created 20 December 1826 from Pendleton District. County seat: Anderson 
|Anderson||Evergreen Hills||Lebanon||Saylors Crossroads|
|Andersonville (hist.)||Five Forks||Masons Cross Road||Starr|
|Barnes Station||Flat Rock||New Light||Storeville (hist.)|
|Cheddar||High Point||Piedmont||Varennes (hist.)|
|Craytonville||Homeland Park||Powderville||West Anderson|
|Deans||Honea Path||Price (hist.)||West Pelzer|
|Denver||Iva||Sadler (hist.)||White Plains|
|Dosheno||La France||Sandy Springs||Williamston|
The book, Book of the Dead, by R.M. Smith is excellent for finding cemetery inscriptions in Anderson County as 22,000 names are listed in alphabetical order for the entire county. This book is 439 pages, covering 200 cemeteries including many private family cemeteries. Inscriptions include people born in the 1750s.
The book, 1800 Census of Pendleton District, SC by William Stewart is an excellent book. It covers present day Anderson County, Pickens County and Oconee County. The author provides many annotations of people and families listed in this census, especially migration information before 1800 from Maryland, Virginia, and North Carolina and after 1800 to Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, and Texas.
LDS Ward and Branch Records
Land Ownership Maps -- The Library of Congress created an 1877 land ownership map for Anderson County and the state created a 1897 land ownership map.
Plats For State Land Grants 1784-1868
This series consists of recorded copies of plats for state land grants for the Charleston and the Columbia Series with their certificates of admeasurement or certification. All personal names and geographic features on these plats are included in the repository's On-line Index to Plats for State Land Grants
The South Carolina Constitution of 1790 required the surveyor general to maintain offices in both the new capital at Columbia and in Charleston. The surveyor general began to use separate volumes for recording plats in his Columbia office in 1796. Before that, all plats were recorded in the set of volumes begun in Charleston in 1784. After 1796, most plats for land grants in the Upper Division of the state were recorded and filed in Columbia. The surveyor general chose to make the Columbia volumes a continuation of the state plat volumes begun in Charleston and gave the initial Columbia volume the number thirty-six to correspond with the number of the volume that had then been reached in the Charleston series. As a result, there are volumes numbered thirty-six through forty-three from each office, but the records in them are not duplicative.
Also included are the Plan Books containing Plats and Plans.
The South Carolina Department of Archives and History has microfilms or typescripts of wills, inventories, bills of sale, power of attorneys, bonds, notes, administrations, judgments, and sales records. They have placed Will Transcriptions for 1782 to 1855 online. Index searchable by name and the image is available. The Wills from Pendleton District were transcribed as Anderson County.
Societies and Libraries
The Anderson County main library is located at 300 N. McDuffie Street, Anderson, S.C. 29621. Contact the library at 864 260-4500 for current hours. The South Carolina room is dedicated for genealogical research. It contains many local and family histories. Subscriptions to Ancestry Library Edition and Heritage Quest Online are available. The South Carolina room web site is 
- Old Pendleton District
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).