Anne Arundel County, Maryland Genealogy
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 4.1 Cemeteries
- 4.2 Census
- 4.3 Church
- 4.4 Court
- 4.5 Genealogy
- 4.6 Gazetteers
- 4.7 Immigration
- 4.8 Land
- 4.9 Local Histories
- 4.10 Maps
- 4.11 Military
- 4.12 Newspapers
- 4.13 Probate
- 4.14 Taxation
- 4.15 Vital Records
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Anne Arundel County Courthouse
7 Church Circle
Annapolis, MD 21401
Phone: (410) 222-7000
Clerk Circuit Court has marriage records from 1905, divorce and court records from 1870, and land records from 1851;
Register of Wills has probate records;
Hall of Records has marriage records 1770-1904 and earlier court and land records.
- Named for Anne Arundell (1615-1649), the daughter of Thomas Arundell, 1st Baron Arundell of Wardour, member of the ancient family of Arundells in England. She was wife of Cecilius Calvert, 2nd Lord Baltimore.
- 1650--Anne Arundel County was created 9 April 1650 out of the Colonial lands. One of original counties.
County seat: Annapolis.
- 13 May 1851, Howard County was created out of the Howard District of Anne Arundel County.
- Ann Arundel
- Ann Arundell
- Anne Arundell
- Lost census: 1890
- Highland Beach
- Findagrave.com for Anne Arundel County cemeteries
- Interment.net Cemetery Listings for Anne Arundel County, MD. Includes contact information for many cemeteries in the county and volunteer contributed index lists for many of them.
- USGenWeb for Anne Arundel County Cemeteries
"Provincial Census of 1776, Anne Arundel County: Including All Hallow's Parish and St. James' Parish (25 pages of facsimile reproductions)," is available online, see pages 407-431 and index in:
- Brumbaugh, Gaius Marcus. Maryland Records: Colonial, Revolutionary, County and Church from Original Sources. Vol. 1. Baltimore, Md.: Williams & Wilkins Company, 1915. Digital version at Google Books.
Federal Census reports available 1790-1930 including slave and veterans schedules.
For tips on accessing Anne Arundel County, Maryland Genealogy census records online, see: Maryland Census.
Maryland State Archives' Guide to Maryland Religious Institutions identifies all churches known to have existed in Anne Arundel County, Maryland. It covers all denominations and includes record descriptions. The following records, taken from its collection, have been digitized and made available to view for free online:
- Methodist Episcopal, Severn Circuit (1842-1858) and South River Circuit (1858-1867) Quarterly Conference Minutes
- Methodist Episcopal, Wesley Chapel, Class Book 1844-1851
- Protestant Episcopal (Church of England), All Hallow's Parish (South River Parish) 1669-1857 (includes parish registers 1669-1857, vestry papers 1809, 1841-1850, and vestry minutes and accounts 1761-1845; user name: aaco, password: aaco#)
- Protestant Episcopal (Church of England), Christ Church, Queen Caroline Parish 1712-1939 (includes parish register 1712-1937 and vestry minutes 1728-1776, 1809-1939)
- Protestant Episcopal, St. Anne's Church, Annapolis, Md. Parish Registers III-VII (1858-1952) (user name: aaco, password: aaco#)
- Protestant Episcopal, St. Stephen's Church, Severn Parish, Millersville, Md. (includes cemetery lot record book 1857-1869 and plats of the church cemetery)
Church of England
There is an excellent card index to Anne Arundel County court papers (1600s-1700s) at the Maryland State Archives. Genealogists will find that many English transported convicts make their initial American appearance in these records.
It is anticipated that this bibliography will eventually identify all known family histories published about residents of this county. Use this list to:
- Locate publications about direct ancestors
- Find the most updated accounts of an ancestor's family
- Identify publications, to quote Elizabeth Shown Mills, about an ancestor's "FAN Club" [Friends, Associates, and Neighbors]
- Russell, Donna Valley. First Families of Anne Arundel County, Maryland, 1649-1658, Volume I: The Landowners; Volume II: The Headrights. New Market, Md.: Catoctin Press, 1999-2002. FHL Books 975.255 D3r v. 1-v. 2.
- Warfield, J.D. The Founders of Anne Arundell and Howard Counties, Maryland: A Genealogical and Biographical Review from Wills, Deeds and Church Records. Baltimore: Kohn & Pollock, 1905. FHL Collection 1036676 Item 3; digital versions at Ancestry ($); Internet Archive. 1967 reprint: FHL Book 975.2 D3wj 1967.
- [Beaven] Donnelly, Mary Louise. Beaven-Blanford, Clarkson-Mitchell Families of Maryland, Kentucky, U.S.A. Ennis, Texas: M.L. Donnelly, 1997. FHL Book 929.273 B386d.
- [Belt] Belt, Walter E., Richard N. Belt, Beverly Redman Reeves Watts, and Evelyne J. Keith. About 900 Descendants of Humphrey Belt: Born About 1615 Probably in Scotland, Died 1696 in Maryland, USA, Sailed from Gravesend, England, on the Ship America, Landed at Jamestown, Virginia on 23 July 1635. He is Generally Accepted as the Progenitor of All Present-day Belts in the United States. Flatonia, Texas: W.E. Belt, 1997. FHL Book 929.273 B419bwe; digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- [Benson] Roberts, Barbara Alves Cheney. Thomas Benson (Died 1795 in Maryland) and Family. [Baton Rouge, La.]: B.C. Roberts, 1990. FHL Book 929.273 A1 no. 6407.
- [Chambers] Chambers, Roger David. The Phillip Chambers Family: A Southern Tradition. [La Maddalena, Italy]: R.D. Chambers, 1987. FHL Book 929.273 C355cr.
- [Chaney] Smith, June A. "Chaney, Anne Arundel Co., Md.," in Linthicum Family Genealogical Data, ca.1649-ca.1950. Microfilmed 1987. FHL Film 1320607 Item 8.
- [Cheney] Orrell, Reverdy Lewin. Descendants of Richard Cheney of Anne Arundel County, Maryland. Catonsville, Md.: R.L. Orrell, III, 1997. FHL Book 929.273 C362o, Arc CD no. 152.
- [Chew] Chew, Dorothy Clendenin and Mahlon Hopkinson Chew. John Chewe: Some Descendants in Virginia, Maryland and Ohio. Dalton, Ga.: D. C. & M. H. Chew, 1982. FHL Book 929.273 A1 no. 3396.
- [Chew] Loeser, Rudolf. "Larkin Chew of Spotsylvania County and His Family," The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 47, No. 1 (Jan.-Mar. 2003):3-27; Vol. 47, No. 2 (Apr.-Jun. 2003):107-134. Digital version at American Ancestors ($); FHL Book 975.5 B2vg v. 47.
- [Childs] O'Brien, Mildred Bowen. Childs. Sunderland, Md.: Calvert Co. Genealogy Newsletter, 2000. FHL Book 929.273 C437o.
- [Choate] Lawrence, William P. The Choates of Southern Illinois and Related Families. 2 vols. Frankfort, Ill.: W.R. Lawrence, 2000. FHL Book 929.273 C451L v. 1.
- [Clary] Rowland, Ralph Shearer and Star Wilson Rowland. Clary Genealogy - Four Early American Lines and Related Families. Fairfax, Va.: Rowland, 1980. FHL Book 929.273 C563r.
- [Cowman] Garlick, Bernard M. Notes on the Descendants of Joseph Cowman "of London" and Anne Arundel County, Maryland: Together with Relationships to Snowden, Thomas and Hopkins Families. 1992. FHL Book 929.273 C839g.
- [Darby] Darby, Rodney H. All About Darbys. Rockville, Md.: R.H. Darby, 1999. FHL Book 929.273 D242dr.
- [Darcy] Dorsey, Donavon D. and Dorsey Family Project. The Dorsey Project. 2 vols. Benton City, Wash.: D.D. Dorsey, 1994-1995. FHL Book 929.27305 D728.
- [Dicas] Dicus, Doris J. Discus--Wolfe and Allied Families. Typescript, Sullivan County Library, Sullivan, Ind. FHL Film 1403675 Item 10.
- [Dillingham] Nichols, Larry O. Dillingham Family of the South: A History & Genealogical Study. Lauderhill, Fla.: L.O. Nichols, 1997. FHL Book 929.273 D584n.
- [Disney] Foresman, Sherry. Disney Family History. [Des Moines, Iowa]: S. Foresman, 1979. FHL Film 1307506 Item 40.
- [Disney] Foresman, Sherry. Disney Family. Des Moines, Iowa: S. Foresman, 1994. FHL Book 929.273 D632f.
- [Dorsey] See also Darcy.
- [Dorsey] Dorsey, Donavon D. and Dorsey Family Project. The Dorsey Project. 2 vols. Benton City, Wash.: D.D. Dorsey, 1994-1995. FHL Book 929.27305 D728.
- [Dorsey] Dorsey, Maxwell J., Jean Muir Dorsey and Nannie Ball Nimmo. The Dorsey Family, Descendants of Edward Darcy-Dorsey of Virginia and Maryland For Five Generations and Allied Families. Baltimore, Md.: Clearfield Company, 2000. FHL Book 929.273 D738d.
- [Dowell] Beeler, Flora Maye Dowell and Janette Beeler Bishop. A Dowell Family History. Gallatin, Mo.: J.B. Bishop, 1972. FHL Film 1571137 Item 15.
- [Duvall] Barkman, Joanna E. Duvall et al. The Descendants of Dr. Jeremiah DuVall and His Wife, Sarah Penn. Goshen, Ind.: J.E.D. Barkman, [1984?]. FHL Book 929.273 D956bj.
- [Gaither] Gaither, George H. The American Gaither's Family Record. Momence, Ill.: n.p., 1968. FHL Film 547189.
- [Gaither] Newman, Harry Wright. Anne Arundel Gentry. Annapolis, Md., 1971.
- [Gaither] Society of John Gaither Descendants. The Gaither Connection: Newsletter of the Society of John Gaither Descendants, Inc. Louisville, Ky.: Society of John Gaither Descendants, 1984-. FHL Book 929.27305 G129g.
- [Gaither] Russell, Donna Valley. First Families of Anne Arundel County, Maryland, 1649-1658. New Market, Md., 1999.
- [Gaither] Dorman, John Frederick. Adventurers of Purse and Person Virginia 1607-1624/5. 3 vols. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc., 2005. See Volume 2. 975.5 H2j v. 2.
- [Gassaway] Rutherford, William Kenneth and Anna Clay Zimmerman Rutherford. Genealogical History of the Gassaway Family. Lexington Mo.: Privately Printed, 1981. FHL Film 1033804 Item 6.
- [Glover] Cohen, Lucille Vann. "Descendants of Benjamin Glover Who was Born 17 June 1754 in Ann Arundell County, Maryland and Died 20 February 1840 in Madison County, Alabama," in Lucille Vann Cohen Genealogical Collection. MSS., Temple Public Library, Temple, Texas. FHL Film 1573526 Item 3.
- [Gookin] Dorman, John Frederick. Adventurers of Purse and Person Virginia 1607-1624/5. 3 vols. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc., 2005. See Volume 2. FHL Book 975.5 H2j v. 2.
- [Griffith] Griffith, R.R. Genealogy of the Griffith Family: The Descendants of William and Sarah Maccubbin Griffith. Baltimore, Md.: Press of William K. Boyle & Son, 1892. FHL Book 929.273 G875c; digital version at Ancestry ($).
- [Gudgeon] Gudgeon, Charles A. The Gudgeons in America: A Family History. LaFarge, Wisc.: E.M. Gudgeon, 1983. FHL Book 929.273 G934g.
- [Hall] Hall, Thomas John. The Hall Family of West River and Kindred Families. Denton, Md.: Rue Pub., 1941. FHL Film 1421418.
- [Hall] Hall, Garrison Kent. The Pedigree of Fletcher Garrison Hall. Boston, Mass.: New England Historic Genealogical Society, 1979. FHL Book 929.273 H141h.
- [Hammond] Brown, Immogene B. Hannan. Hammond Family of Maryland: With Indiana Descendants. n.p.: I.H. Brown, 1976. FHL Book 929.273 H184bi.
- [Hardesty] Smith, June A. "Hardesty, Anne Arundel Co., Md.," in Linthicum Family Genealogical Data, ca.1649-ca.1950. Microfilmed 1987. FHL Film 1320607 Item 8.
- [Harrison] Crowther, C. Rodney III. "Harrison Family of Anne Arundel County, Md.," National Genealogical Society Quarterly, Vol. 50 (1962):29-36, 95-100; Vol. 51, No. 3 (Sep. 1963):172-173. FHL Book 973 B2ng v. 51.
- [Hedges] Hedges, Brian K. One Branch of the Hedges Family and Their History of Over 300 Years in America. Enid, Okla.: B.K. Hedges, 1989. FHL Book 929.273 H358hbk.
- [Hinton] Pauley, James L. Pauley: Caldwell, Crooks, Hinton, Hughes. Jefferson, Iowa: J.L. Pauley, . FHL Book 929.273 P282pj.
- [Howard] Schenk, Casper. Andeck, American Colonial Ancestry: An Outline of the Places in History of Colonial Fathers of Our Children. Typescript, 1942. FHL Book 929.273 D668s.
- [Howard] Mehring, A.L. The Ancestors and Descendants of Henry Howard. Adelphi, Md.: A.A. Mehring, 1966. FHL Film 1454577 Item 2; another copy: FHL Film 1405318.
- [Jenings] Monk, Arliss Shaffer. "Five Edmund Jeningses of Virginia and Maryland," National Genealogical Society Quarterly, Vol. 96, No. 4 (December 2008):299-310. FHL Book 973 B2ng v. 96.
- [Jump] Englehart, Gerald D. Jump Genealogy: An American Family from Colonial Times. Ozark, Mo.: Yates Publishing, 1985. FHL Book 929.273 A1 no. 4941; 1985 Supplement: FHL Book 929.273 A1 no. 4714.
- [Keene] Jones, Elias. Keene Family History and Genealogy. Baltimore, Md.: Kohn and Pollock, 1923. FHL Film 1321294 Item 5; digital version at Ancestry ($).
- [Lane] James, Larry Alan. The Lane Family: The Ancestry and Descendants of Rev. Tidence Lane. Neosho, Mo.: L.A. James, 1982. FHL Book 929.273 L24jL.
- [Lane] Irby, Sharon Elaine Lapp. The Lane Families of Muskingum County, Ohio. Dresden, Ohio: S.L. Irby, 1985. FHL Book 929.273 L24i.
- [Lane] Welch, June Rayfield. The Lane Line: Notes from Samuel Lane of Pennsylvania, to Elizabeth Lane Prigmore of Kentucky and Missouri, with Connections to These Families, Prigmore, Corbin, Tidings, Wilkinson and Others. Dallas, Texas: J.R. Welch, 1987. FHL Book 929.273 L24wj.
- [Larkin] Stickney, A.B. "The American Ancestry of John Pierpoint of (West) Virginia," The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 2, No. 2 (Apr.-Jun. 1958):51-61. Digital version at American Ancestors ($).
- [Linthicum] Smith, June A. "Linthicum, Anne Arundel Co., Md.," in Linthicum Family Genealogical Data, ca.1649-ca.1950. Microfilmed 1987. FHL Film 1320607 Item 8.
- [McNeir] McNair, James Birtley. McNair, McNear, and McNeir Genealogies. Chicago, Ill.: J.B. McNair, 1923. FHL Book 929.273 M231m.
- [Meek] Freeburn, Eleanor Jane Hammill and Dwight Freeburn. On the Trails with Our Meek Family in America: The Descendents of Guy Meeks and the Families Who Married Into This Meek Family in America. 2 vols. Berea, Ohio: E. & D. Freeburn, . FHL Book 929.273 M471f.
- [Meek] Meek, William Hastings. Meek Genealogy, 1600-1983. [Arnold, Calif.]: W.H. Meek, Jr., 1983. FHL Book 929.273 M471mw.
- [Midyett] Brayton, John Anderson. Order of First Families of North Carolina Ancestor Biographies Vol. 1. Memphis, Tenn., 2005. FHL Book 975.6 D3bj v. 1.
- [Mobberley] Kainlauri, Eino O. Mobberley/Moberly/Mobley Genealogies in America Since 1686. Ames, Iowa: E.O. Kainlauri, 1996. FHL Film 1425363 Item 10; Additional material: FHL VAULT 1440330 Item 8.
- [Mullineaux] Baldridge, Blanche Hamlett. My Virginia Kin: Comprising the Hamlett, Witt, Giles, Wills, Eubank-Fortune, Mullenix, Lynchard, Talbot and Kight Families with a Short Treatise on the Loving Family. Stawberry Point, Iowa: Press- Journal Pub., 1958.
- [Mullineaux] Hurley, William Neal. The Mullinix [Mullineaux] Families: [Primarily of Montgomery, Frederick & Howard Counties, Maryland, but Including Numerous References to the Family Found in Other Counties and States]. Bowie, Md.: Heritage Books, 1999. FHL Book 929.273 M917h.
- [Neale] Neall, Harry Levy and Rosalie S. Neall Cunningham. Genealogy of the American Family of Neall: It Being a Branch of the Bedfordshire, England Family of Neale, from Whose Members, Circa 1630, Came the Emigrants Who Founded the Early American Family of Neale Who Settled at Accomack, Virginia, and Salem, Massachusetts, Some of the Succeeding Generations Finding Their Permanent Location of the Eastern Shore of Maryland: This Family History Has Its More Intimate Relationship in the Descendants of Francis Neale, a Quaker, Whose Children Changed the Spelling of Their Surname to Neall. Haywood, Calif.: R.N. Cunningham, 1969. FHL Book 929.273 N259n.
- [Norman] Thorne, Zelda Norman. Normans of Maryland. MSS., 1944. FHL Film 1036392 Item 5.
- [Ogilvie] Ogilvie, The American Genealogist, Vol. 41: 153-157. FHL 973 D25aga v. 41
- [Ogilvie] Russell, George E. "Patrick Ogilvie of Maryland, 1702-1717," The American Genealogist, Vol. 53, No. 2 (Apr. 1977):75. FHL 973 D25aga v. 53
- [Owen] Owens, Clarence Rice and Katharine Bruce Jones. The Family Search of Clarence Rice Owens: For Owens and Chambers in Maryland, North Carolina, Indiana, Nebraska, Kansas, Colorado--Rice and Colton in Massachusetts, New York, Wisconsin, Minnesota, California--Patterson in Massachusetts, New York, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Kansas, Nebraska--Farnam in New England, Canada, Nebraska, Kansas, Washington--Sly and Wiltse in Canada. San Francisco, Calif.: California Genealogical Society, 1975. FHL Book 929.273 Ow2oj.
- [Owings] Owings, Addison D. and Elizabeth S. Owings. Owings and Allied Families: A Genealogy of Some of the Descendants of Richard Owings I of Maryland 1685-1975. New Orleans, La.: Polyanthos, 1976. FHL Film 928423 Item 4.
- [Owings] Owings, Addison D. and Elizabeth S. Owings. Owings and Allied Families, 1685-1985: A Genealogy of Some of the Descendants of Richard Owings I of Maryland. Terry, Miss.: A.D. & E.S. Owings, 1985. FHL Book 929.273 Ow3oa 1985; digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- [Parrish] Boyd, Scott Lee. The Parrish Family: Including the Allied Families of Belt, Boyd, Cole and Malone, Clockey, Garrett, Merryman, Parsons, Price, Tipton, with Special Reference to Mercelia Louise Boyd. Santa Barbara, Calif.: Boyd, 1935. FHL Film 1018876 Items 13 - 14; digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- [Parrott] Burns, A. Robert. The Parrott - Levering Ancestors and Descendants as of 1979. Lexington, Ohio: A. B. Burns, 1979. FHL Book 929.273 P249br.
- [Pierpont] Hedman, Kathryn Pierpont and Hattie Malone Pierpont. The Pierpoint--Pierpont Family of Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia. Alexandria, Va.: K.P. Hedman, 1953. FHL Film 1429817 Item 4.
- [Pierpont] Stickney, A.B. "The Pierpoints of Hertfordshire, England and Ann Arundel County, Maryland," The American Genealogist, Vol. 33 (1957): 236-241. FHL Book 973 D25aga v. 33; digital version at American Ancestors ($).
- [Pierpont] Stickney, A.B. "The American Ancestry of John Pierpoint of (West) Virginia," The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 2, No. 2 (Apr.-Jun. 1958):51-61. Digital version at American Ancestors ($).
- [Plummer] Plummer, Leonard Lowell. Plummer Families History: A Typical English Family Colonizes America. Lake Quivira, Kansas: L.L. Plummer, 1991. FHL Book 929.273 P736pL.
- [Plummer] Wendling, John S. Walter W. Plummer Ancest[r]y: From the Thomas Plummer/Stockett of Maryland: Jo[se]ph W. Plummer/ Taylor of Jefferson Co., Ohio: Thomas T. Plummer/Thummel of Iowa/Nebraska. [Sandy, Utah]: J.S. Wendling, 1995. FHL Book 929.273 P736w.
- [Poole] John Poole Association. De[s]cendants of John and Priscilla Poole of Montgomery County, Maryland. Bethesda, Md.: n.p., 1981. FHL Book 929.273 P787p.
- [Poole] John Poole Association. Descendants of John and Priscilla Poole of Montgomery County, Maryland. [Towson, Maryland?]: John Poole Association, 2001. FHL Book 929.273 P787p 2001.
- [Porter] Porter, William Arthur. The Descendants of Peter Porter, an Emigrant of 1621. Minneapolis, Minn.: Argus Publishing Co., 1937. FHL Book 929.273 P833pw.
- [Prather] Brashear, Charles. Two Brashear Families of the Lower Mississippi Valley and Their Choctaw Descendants: Preliminary Draft of (Version of 4 September 1996). San Diego, Calif.: C. Brashear, 1996. FHL Book 929.273 B736bc.
- [Pribble] Buxton, Margaret L. Majors - Pribble - Dallas Family Genealogical Data, 1660-1967. MSS. Microfilmed 1969. FHL Film 599082 Items 4-7.
- [Rawlings] Houk, Andrew K. Rawlings History. Jamestown, Ind.: A.J. Houk, Sr., 1982. FHL Book 929.273 R199h.
- [Ray] Wach, Nancy J. My Brother, My Son: The Ray-Ball and Related Names, History and Genealogy. Greeley, Colo.: N.J. Wach, 1991. FHL Book 929.273 R211w.
- [Richardson] Richardson Heritage Society and Harry M. Richardson. Richardson Family Researcher & Historical News: An Aid for the Richardson-Moore and Allied Families Genealogist. Broken Bow, Ne.: Richardson Heritage Society, 1975-. FHL Book 929.27305 R393r.
- [Riggs] Riggs, John Beverley. The Riggs Family of Maryland: A Genealogical and Historical Record, Including a Study of the Several Families in England. Baltimore, Md.: Lord Baltimore Press, 1939. FHL Book 929.273 R448r; digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- [Rogers] Gee, Mrs. Nathaniel G. "William Rogers of Annapolis, Md.," National Genealogical Society Quarterly, Vol. 51, No. 2 (June 1963):100-103. FHL Book 973 B2ng v. 51.
- [Saffell] Saffell, Lester Franklin and Opal Irene Carns Saffell. Saffell Families, United States of America, 1732-1978. Renton, Wash.: L.F. and O.I.C. Saffell, 1978. FHL Book 929.273 Sa17a.
- [Sellman] Sellman, W. Marshall. John Sellman of Maryland and Descendants. Cincinnati, Ohio: W.M. Sellman, 1975. FHL Book 929.273 Se48a.
- [Sellman] Crabb, Martha L. Over the Mountain: A Narrative History of the Bean, Selman and Germany Families. Dumas, Texas: M.L. Crabb, 1990. FHL Book 929.273 Se49c.
- [Shipley] The Shipleys of Maryland. Baltimore, Md.: Reese Press, 1938. FHL Book 929.273 Sh64sf; digital version at Ancestry ($). Forthcoming supplement information.
- [Shipley] Pirtle, George William. From Whence We Came: A Personal Family Biography. Microfilmed 1978. FHL Film 1036758 Item 1.
- [Talbott] Kitchell, Alice Kathryne Brown. Talbotts of Ripley County, Indiana and Others, 1504-1974. Typescript, Ripley County Historical Museum, Versailles, Ind. FHL Film 1312803 Item 22.
- [Taylor] Dennstedt, Albert Marjorie. "Richard and Ann Taylor's Descendants in Maryland and Virginia," The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 40, No. 1 (Jan.-Mar. 1996):29-38; Vol. 40, No. 2 (Apr.-Jun. 1996):134-145; Vol. 40, No. 3 (Jul.-Sep. 1996):199-211; Vol. 40, No. 4 (Oct.-Dec. 1996):282-293. Digital version at American Ancestors ($). FHL Book 975.5 B2vg.
- [Thomas] Jarboe, Mary. From Charlemagne to You: Charlemagne, King of the Franks, Emperor of the West 742-814. Richardson, Texas: M. Jarboe, 1998. FHL Book 929.2429 T361j.
- [Tipton] Tipton Family Association of America and Dale Reed. TFAA Newsletter (Tipton Family Association of America). Orlando, Fla.: Tipton Family Association of America, 1987-. FHL Book 929.27305 T499.
- [Trundle] Hurley, William Neal. Trundle and Allied Families of Montgomery County, Maryland: Being Primarily a Study of the Montgomery County Families of: Appleby, Arnold, Brewer, Dade, Dickerson, Fletchall, Hempstone, Sellman and Trundle Families; and Including References to Numerous Other Allied Maryland Families of Montgomery and Frederick Counties. Bowie, Md.: Heritage Books, 2000. FHL Book 929.273 T773h.
- [Trundle] Flinn, Richard D. The Trundle (Trunnell) Family of Maryland. Hillsboro, Ohio: R.D. Flinn, 2000. FHL Book 929.273 T773f.
- [Tydings] Tydings, W. Harold. Tydings Family History. 5 vols. Broken Arrow, Okla.: W.H. Tydings, 2003. FHL Book 929.273 T968t v. 1-5.
- [Underwood] DeWees, Robert L. Ancestors and Descendants, Israel Underwood Family. Mt. Clemens, Mich.: R. L. DeWees, 1970. FHL Book 929.273 Un2d.
- [Underwood] Lewis, Billie Redding. Across the Blue Ridge - Supplement. Lake Wales, Fla.: B.R. Lewis, [c1991?]. FHL Book 929.273 J71L supp..
- [Underwood] Lewis, Billie Redding. Thomas Underwood (1650) and His Descendants (Including Kin with Royal Ancestry). Lake Wales, Fla.: B.R. Lewis, 1993. FHL Book 929.273 Un2L.
- [Underwood] Lewis, Billie Redding. Thomas Underwood, 1650 Immigrant: His Descendants & Their Families. Lake Wales, Fla.: B.R. Lewis, 1993. FHL Book 929.273 Un2La.
- [Underwood] Lewis, Billie Redding. Early Blue Ridge Mountain Settlers. Decorah, Iowa: Anundsen, 2001. FHL Book 929.273 Un2Lb.
- [Underwood] Lewis, Billie Redding. Southern Underwoods and Martins: With Related Families and Royal Links. Decorah, Iowa: Anundsen, 2001. FHL Book 929.273 Un2Lbr.
- [Utie] "Captain John Utie, of Utimaria, Esq.," The William and Mary Quarterly, Vol. 4, No. 1 (Jul. 1895):52-58. Digital version at JSTOR - free.
- [Welling] Welling, William Brayshaw. The Welling Family of Howard County, Maryland, 1979: With Addenda Covering the Following Connected Families, Winchester, Crawford, de Lacy, Brayshaw, Gist, Sykes, Warfield and Nichols. Sykesville, Md.: W.B. Welling, Jr., 1980. FHL Book 929.273 W46ww [includes supplements]
- [Welsh] Welsh, Luther Winfield. Ancestral Colonial Families--Genealogy of the Welsh and Hyatt Families of Maryland and Their Kin: Giving the Colonial Generations of the Howard, Hammond, Maccubbin, Griffith, Greenberry, Dorsey, Van Sweringen, Baldwin, Gaither, Warfield and Duvall Families. Kansas City, Mo.: L.W. Welsh, 1928. FHL Fiche 6046865; digital version at Ancestry ($); World Vital Records ($).
- [Welsh] Russell, George Ely. "Molly Welsh: Alleged Grandmother of Benjamin Banneker," National Genealogical Society Quarterly, Vol. 94, No. 4 (December 2006):305-314. FHL Book 973 B2ng v. 94 (2006).
- [White] Brayton, John Anderson. Order of First Families of North Carolina Ancestor Biographies Vol. 1. Memphis, Tenn., 2005. FHL Book 975.6 D3bj v. 1.
- [Williams] Birch, Nicki Peak. "Tracking Basil Williams of Maryland and Pennsylvania Through Changing Residences and Multiple Marriages," National Genealogical Society Quarterly, Vol. 96, No. 1 (March 2008):23-37. FHL Book 973 B2ng v. 96.
- [Yate] Hunt, J.G. "English Ancestry of George Yate of Maryland," National Genealogical Society Quarterly. FHL Book 929.273 Y27h.
- [Young] Aday, Mildred Y. Ancestror [sic] Tables: Caldwell, Decker, Drake, Eakin, Frame, Hall, Jackson, Johnston, Loshbaugh, McWilliams, Richardson, Ruggles, Shaw, Thompson, Wherry, Young: (An Interim Report Made During Preparation of a Family History). Lakewood, Colo.: M.Y. Aday, 1989. FHL Book 929.273 Y84am.
Annapolis has been a port since colonial times. Unfortunately, no official passenger lists survive for the seventeenth or eighteenth centuries.
The New Early Settlers of Maryland database is a great place to start searching for immigrants who had arrived in the colony by the 1680s. The database "comprises 34,326 entries from Gust Skordas' Early Settlers of Maryland and Carson Gibb's Supplement to the Early Settlers of Maryland." Available online, courtesy: Maryland State Archives.
Other Anne Arundel County immigration resources include:
- List of imported servants and transported convicts from Europe who served labor terms in Colonial Anne Arundel County, Maryland (work in progress), courtesy: Immigrant Servants Database. [Includes Richard J. Cox's abstracts of Maryland Gazette runaways.]
Through a Joint eGovernment Service of the Maryland Judiciary and the Maryland State Archives, free images and indexes of the complete series of Anne Arundel County Deed Books (1653-present) have been uploaded to their website: MDLandRec.Net: A Digital Image Retrieval System for Land Records in Maryland. (Requires free registration.)
- A Census of Pensioners for Revolutionary or Military Services: With their Names, Ages, and Places of Residence, as Returned by the Marshalls of the Several Judicial Districts, Under the Act for Taking the Sixth Census]. 1841. Digital version at Google Books. 1967 reprint: FHL Collection 973 X2pc 1840. [See Maryland, Anne Arundel County on page 127.]
War of 1812
- List of Pensioners on the Roll, January 1, 1883; Giving the Name of Each Pensioner, the Cause for Why Pensioned, the Post-Office Address, the Rate of Pension Per Month, and the Date of Original Allowance... Washington, D.C.: Government Printing Office, 1883. FHL Collection 973 M2Lp v. 5; digital versions at Google Books and Internet Archive. [See Vol. 5, Maryland, Anne Arundel County, pp. 110-111. Identifies War of 1812 veterans living in this county in 1883.]
- Anne Arundel County newspapers are identified in "Guide to Maryland Newspapers," available online, courtesy: Special Collections, Maryland State Archives.
- [1678, 1681] 1678 and 1681 Anne Arundel County tax lists, available online, courtesy: MDGenWeb.
-  Anne Arundel County Tax List of 1783: This is an alphabetical index to names to all property owners assessed. The index cards at the Maryland State Archives include county, hundred, names of tracts of land and whether individuals were paupers or single males as provided in the law.
- Maryland Death Certificate Index 1898-1944, available online, courtesy: Vital Records Indexing Project, Maryland State Archives.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- The Anne Arundel County MDGenWeb Project, a member of The MDGenWeb Project, an affiliate of The USGenWeb Project.
- "Anne Arundel Co.," in Genealogical Sources in Periodicals at The Maryland State Archives.
- The USGenWeb Archives Project for Anne Arundel County.
- The USGenWeb Archives Project for Anne Arundel County. (backup site)
- Anne Arundel County at Our Family Tree
- FamilySearch.org Family History Library Catalog for Anne Arundel County.
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Anne Arundel County, Maryland page 317, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002. Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; name "HBG" defined multiple times with different content
- Wikipedia contributors, "3rd Maryland Regiment," http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3rd_Maryland_Regiment, accessed 31 May 2012.
- Wikipedia contributors, "4th Maryland Regiment," http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4th_Maryland_Regiment, accessed 31 May 2012.
- Wikipedia contributors, "6th Maryland Regiment," http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/6th_Maryland_Regiment, accessed 31 May 2012.