Argentina, Neuquén, Catholic Church Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)
|This article describes a collection of historical records available at FamilySearch.org.|
Access the records: Argentina, Neuquén, Catholic Church Records, 1883-1977 .
Title in the Language of the Record
Registros Parroquiales de la Iglesia Católica en la Provincia de Neuquén, Argentina
|You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for Argentina, Neuquén, Catho...Church Records, 1883-1977.|
These records are in Spanish. This collection of church records for the period of 1883 to 1977, includes baptisms, confirmations, marriages and deaths for the cities of Chos Malal, Junín de los Andes and Neuquén.
The parishes contained in the collection are María Auxiliadora, Nuestra Señora de las Nieves and Nuestra Señora de los Dolores.
For a list of localities currently published in this collection, select the Browse link from the collection landing page.
Baptismal records usually include the following information:
- Date of event
- Place of event
- Name of child
- Child's birth date
- Parents' names
- Parents' age and origin
- Godparents' names
- Godparents' age and origin
Confirmation records usually include the following information:
- Date of event
- Name and age
Marriage records usually include the following information:
- Date of event
- Place of event
- Name of groom
- Groom’s birth date
- Groom’s origin, civil status and residence
- Groom’s parents' names and their origin
- Name of bride
- Bride’s birth date
- Bride's origin, civil status and residence
- Bride’s parents names and their origin
- Witnesses' names, age, origin and residence
- Names of witnesses or godparents
Death records usually include the following information:
- Name of deceased
- Date of death
- Age of deceased
- Baptism date
- Parents’ names
How to Use the Record
To search the collection, you will need to follow this series of links:
⇒ Select the “Browse through images" link on the initial collection page ⇒ Select the “City or Town” category ⇒ Select the “Parish” category ⇒ Select the “Record Type and Years” category which takes you to the images.
Search the collection by image comparing the information with what you already know about your ancestors to determine which one is your ancestor. You may need to compare the information about more than one person to make this determination.
- Use the marriage date and place as the basis for compiling a new family group or for verifying existing information.
- Use the birth date or age along with the place of birth of each partner to find a couple's birth records and parents' names.
- Use the birth date or age along with the place of birth to find the family in census records.
- Use the residence and names of the parents to locate church and land records.
- Occupations listed can lead you to other types of records such as employment or military records.
- Use the parents' birth places to find former residences and to establish a migration pattern for the family.
- The name of the officiator is a clue to their religion or area of residence in the county. However, ministers may have reported marriages performed in other counties.
- Compile the marriage entries for every person who has the same surname as the bride or groom; this is especially helpful in rural areas or if the surname is unusual.
- Continue to search the marriage records to identify children, siblings, parents, and other relatives of the bride and groom who may have married in the same county or nearby. This can help you identify other generations of your family or even the second marriage of a parent. Repeat this process for each new generation you identify.
- Use the marriage number to identify previous marriages.
- When looking for a person who had a common name, look at all the entries for the name before deciding which is correct.
Keep in mind:
- The information in church records is usually reliable, but depends upon the reliability of the informant.
- Earlier records may not contain as much information as the records created after the late 1800.
- There is also some variation in the information given from one record to another.
If you are unable to find the ancestors you are looking for, try the following:
- Check for variant spellings of the surnames.
- Check for a different index. There are often indexes at the beginning of each volume.
- Search the indexes and records of nearby localities.
For Help Reading These Records
These records are in Spanish. For help reading the records, see the following wiki articles:
|FHL Place Argentina, Neuquen items or FHL Keyword Argentina, Neuquen items in the FamilySearch Library Catalog. For other libraries (local and national) or to gain access to items of interest, see Argentina Archives and Libraries.|
Related Wiki Articles
Contributions to This Article
| We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records. |
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.
Citing FamilySearch Historical Collections
Citations for individual image records are available for this collection. Browse through images in this collection and click on the "Show Citation" box: Argentina, Neuquén, Catholic Church Records, 1883-1977
When you copy information from a record, you should list where you found the information. This will help you or others to find the record again. It is also good to keep track of records where you did not find information, including the names of the people you looked for in the records.
Citation for This Collection
|The image citation is available by clicking on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen. You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for Argentina, Neuquén, Catho...Church Records, 1883-1977.|
The following citation refers to the original source of the information published in FamilySearch.org Historical Records collections. Sources include the author, custodian, publisher, and archive for the original records.
- "Argentina, Neuquén, Catholic Church Records, 1883-1977" Images. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : accessed 2013.