Back to Argentina
A biography is a history of a person's life. In a biography you may find the individual's birth, marriage, and death information, and the names of his parents, children, or other family members. Use the information carefully because there may be inaccuracies.
Few Argentinian ancestors were the subject of biographies. There are some biographical sources for Argentina and those that exist usually include the most notable citizens.
Thousands of brief biographies have been gathered and published in collective biographies, sometimes called biographical encyclopedias or dictionaries. These usually only include biographies of prominent or well-known citizens of Argentina and Latin America. Others feature biographies of specific groups of people, such as professional groups or religious organizations.
Argentina has several good collections of biographies. Extensive and significant biographical encyclopedias or dictionaries that cover all of Latin America, Spain, and Portugal are:
- Herrero Mediavilla, Victor and Lolita RosaAguayo Nayle. Indice biográfico deEspaña, Portugal e Iberoamérica(Biographical Index of Spain, Portugal andLatin America). New York: K. G. Saur, 1990. (Family History Library book 920 In2; fiche 6002170–6002172.)
- Herrero Mediavilla, Victor. Archivo Biográfico des España, Portugal e Iberoamerica Nueva Serie(Biographical Archive of Spain, Portugal and Latin America New Series). München: K. G. Saur, 1993. (Family History Library fiche 6131531–6131558.)
These sets of indexes include hundreds of thousands of biographical entries taken from hundreds of biographical reference works published between the 17th and 20th centuries.
There are several major collections of Argentinian biographies. These include:
- Diccionario Histórico Argentino (Historical Dictionary Argentinean). 6 vols. Buenos Aires: Ediciones Históricos Argentinos, 1953– 1954. (Family History Library book 982 H26d.)
- Cutolo, Vicente Osvaldo. Nuevo Diccionario Biográfico Argentino 1750 – 1930 (New Biographical Argentinian Dictionary). 7 vols. Buenos Aires: Editorial Elche, 1968–1985. (Family History Library book 982 D3cu).
- Quien es quien en la Argentina (Who’s Who in Argentina). Benos Aires: Editorial Guillermo Kraft, 1940 –. (Family History Library book 982 D3q.)
- Vilanova Rodríguez, Alberto. Los Gallegos en la Argentina (The Gallegans in Argentina). 2 vols. Buenos Aires: Ediciones Galicia, 1966. (Family History Library book 982 D3v.)
- Petriella, Dionisio. Diccionario Biográfico Italo–Argentino(Biographical Dictionary Italo–Argentine). Buenos Aires: Asociación Dante Alighieri, 1976. (Family History Library book 982 D36p.)
- Biedma, José Juan. Biografías: 1725 – 1952. (Biographies 1725–1952). Buenos Aires: Archivo General de la Nación, 1991. (Family History Library film 1700376–77, 1700442–47.)
Many of these collections were microfilmed from the collection of José Juan Biedma, whose records are housed in the Archivo General de la Nación.
Addition resources can be found at the Family History Library by using the Place-names Search of the Family History Library Catalog under:
ARGENTINA - BIOGRAPHY
ARGENTINA, PROVINCE - BIOGRAPHY
ARGENTINA, PROVINCE, CITY - BIOGRAPHY