Arley, Warwickshire Genealogy
Arley St Wilfred is an Ancient parish and consists of Old and New Arley and Sloley Hill.
Old Arley contains the mediaeval church of St Wilfred, and a Methodist church nearby. New Arley contains St Michael's C of E and St Joseph's Catholic Church, both originally built in response to the influx of miners in the first half of the 20th century. Arley's mining industry is now long gone. The two Anglican churches form one parish, and St Joseph's is run from St Anne's, Chapel End, Nuneaton.
Arley, is a parish in Nuneaton district, Warwickshire; on the Birmingham and Leicester railway, it is 6 miles W by S of Nuneaton. It includes Sloley Hill; and the post town is Fillongley under Coventry.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Bishop's Transcripts deposited at the Lichfield Record Bap 1660-1846 Marr 1660-1833 Bur 1660-1846
Contributor: Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 464175.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Warwickshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- Wilson, John Marius, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870). Date accessed: 16 October 2013.
Contributor: add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.