Arlington County, Virginia Genealogy
|Arlington County, Virginia|
Location in the state of Virginia
Location of Virginia in the U.S.
|Founded||March 13, 1847|
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Websites
- 7 References
1425 North Courthouse Road
Arlington, VA 22201
- "A Guide to the Counties of Virginia: Alexandria County [Arlington County]," The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 3, No. 3 (Jul.-Sep. 1959). Available at FHL US/CAN Book 975.5 B2vg. Digital version at American Ancestors ($).
- "A Guide to the Counties of Virginia: Arlington County," The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 4, No. 2 (Apr.-Jun. 1960):80. Available at FHL US/CAN Book 975.5 B2vg. Digital version at American Ancestors ($).
- Ray, Suzanne Smith. "Genealogical Research in the Records of Alexandria City and Arlington County," The Virginia Genealogical Society Newsletter, Vol. 10, No. 4 (Jul.-Aug. 1984):1. Available at FHL US/CAN Book 975.5 B2vt; digital version at Virginia Genealogical Society website.
- Heinegg, Paul. Free African Americans of Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Maryland and Delaware. 2005-present. - free online book. Cole, Ennis, Fletcher, Handless, Lucas, McIntosh, Nichols, Shorter, Thomas, Valentine, Webster families of pre-1820 Arlington County, Virginia.
For a detailed list, including addresses, phone numbers, and external links, see Arlington County, Virginia Cemeteries.
The following is a list of cemeteries in Arlington County: 
- Decker, K. and Angus McSween. Historic Arlington: A History of the National Cemetery from Its Establishment to the Present Time, with Sketches of the Historic Personages Who Occupied the Estate Previous to Its Seizure by the National Government... Decker and McSween Pub. Co., 1892. Digital version at Google Books (full-view).
- Smith, F.H. Memorial Ceremonies at the National Cemetery, Arlington, Virginia, Under the Auspices of the Grand Army of the Republic, May 30, 1868. Washington, D.C.: McGill & Witherow, Printers and Stereotypers, 1868. Digital version at Google Books (full-view).
- Tombstone Transcription Project Arlington County (including Arlington National Cemetery) - transcriptions and photos - USGenWeb
For tips on accessing Arlington County, Virginia Genealogy census records online, see: Virginia Census.
|Source: "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau.|
Church of England
- Slaughter, Philip and Edward Lewis Goodwin. History of Truro Parish in Virginia. Philadelphia, PA: George W. Jacobs, 1907. Available at FHL US/CAN Book 975.52 K2s and FHL US/CAN Film 1598227 Item 12. Digital versions available at Ancestry ($); BYU Family History Archives; Google Books (full-view); and World Vital Records ($).
- The Truro Parish Colonial Vestry Book (1732-1785) and the proceedings of the Overseers of the Poor (1787-1802). Digitized images available online at Truro Parish Colonial Vestry Minutes.
LDS Ward and Branch Records
Indexed images of Arlington County, Virginia Chancery Records 1790-1842 are available online through Virginia Memory: Chancery Records Index. These records, often concerned with inheritance disputes, contain a wealth of genealogical information.
-  Ward, Roger D. 1815 Directory of Virginia Landowners (and Gazetteer). 6 vols. Athens, Georgia: Iberian Pub. Co., 1997-2000. FHL 975 E4w v. 4. [The source for this publication is the 1815 land tax. Alexandria County is included in Vol. 4.]
-  A List of Tithables for the Town Part of the County of Alexandria, 1829. Original records, Arlington County Courthouse in Arlington, Virginia; FHL copy: FHL 1902939 Item 4.
Indexes to Arlington County, Virginia Genealogy births, marriages, and deaths are available online. These collections are incomplete, but are easy to search. Most records can also be ordered electronically online as well. Courtesy: FamilySearch - free. See also How to order Virginia Vital Records
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- Arlington County VAGenWeb Project, a part of The VAGenWeb Project, an affiliate of The USGenWeb Project
- Family History Library Catalog
- Cyndi's List
- Site of Arlington Chapel Marker, The Historical Marker Database
- Wikipedia Contributors, "Arlington County, Virginia," in Wikipedia: The Free Encyclopedia, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arlington_County,_Virginia, accessed 13 January 2012.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- USGS Map, Trails.com
- "Virginia Memory: Chancery Records Index Availability," Library of Virginia (accessed 26 January 2010).