Difference between revisions of "Ashworth, Lancashire Genealogy"

From FamilySearch Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search
m (Text replace - '''A Topographical Dictionary of England''' to '''A Topographical Dictionary of England''')
Line 1: Line 1:
 
[[England]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]] [[Lancashire]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]] [[Lancashire Parishes]]  
 
[[England]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]] [[Lancashire]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]] [[Lancashire Parishes]]  
  
[[Image:St_James'_Church,_Ashworth,_Rochdale,_Lancashire_.jpg|thumb|right|Ashworth Chapel (St James)]]
+
[[Image:St James' Church, Ashworth, Rochdale, Lancashire .jpg|thumb|right]]  
  
 
== Chapelry History  ==
 
== Chapelry History  ==
  
ASHWORTH, a parochial chapelry in the parish of Middleton, union of Bury, hundred of Salford, S. division of the county of Lancaster, 3½ miles (W.) from Rochdale; containing 325 inhabitants. A family named Ashworth was seated here as early as the 13th century, and appears to have been succeeded by the Holts: Richard Holt, an active supporter of the royal cause in the civil war, had his estate sequestrated in 1643; but it was afterwards restored. The manor came subsequently into the possession of the Wilbraham family. Ashworth comprises by measurement 1025 acres; the soil is fertile, the scenery romantic, and the lower part of the township is thickly studded with large oak-trees. The substratum abounds in coal, of which a mine is in operation; and stone of good quality for building is also obtained in great quantity: a fullingmill affords employment to some hands. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of Wilbraham Egerton, Esq.; net income, £119. The rectorial tithes have been commuted for £15, and the glebe consists of 62 acres. '''The chapel''', a plain stone fabric, '''dedicated to St. James''', stands on the summit of a hill to the north of Ashworth Hall; it was for the most part '''rebuilt in 1789''', and in 1837 the chancel, which was part of a former edifice, was taken down, and the east end of the chapel considerably enlarged. The burial-ground commands an extensive view of the adjacent hills and vales. A daily school, founded by Mr. Egerton in 1828, is partly supported by that gentleman, by whom, also, premises for a Sunday school were built in 1838.
+
ASHWORTH, '''a '''parochial '''chapelry&nbsp;in the parish of Middleton''', union of Bury, hundred of Salford, S. division of the county of Lancaster, 3½ miles west&nbsp;of&nbsp;Rochdale. '''The chapel''', was&nbsp;'''dedicated to St James'''. The burial-ground commands an extensive view of the adjacent hills and vales.<ref>''[[A Topographical Dictionary of England]]'' by Samuel Lewis (1848), pp. 96-100. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=50766 Date accessed: 25 June 2010.</ref>
 
 
From: ''[[A Topographical Dictionary of England]]'' by Samuel Lewis (1848), pp. 96-100. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=50766 Date accessed: 25 June 2010.  
 
  
 
Ashworth St James is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Lancashire, created in 1735 from chapelry in [[Middleton, Lancashire]] Ancient Parish. It became a parish in 1866.<br><br>
 
Ashworth St James is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Lancashire, created in 1735 from chapelry in [[Middleton, Lancashire]] Ancient Parish. It became a parish in 1866.<br><br>
Line 21: Line 19:
 
Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection  
 
Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection  
  
Parish registers, St. James' Church, Ashworth (Lancashire), 1813-1958 Microfilm of original records in the Manchester Central Library, Manchester. Ashworth was a chapelry in the parish of Middleton until 1735, at which time it became a separate ecclesiastical parish. It became a separate civil parish in 1866. The chapel is dedicated to St. James.Manchester Central Library call nos.: L 101/1/1/3-8, L 101/1/3/2-4.<br>  
+
Parish registers, St. James' Church, Ashworth (Lancashire), 1813-1958 Microfilm of original records in the Manchester Central Library, Manchester. Ashworth was a chapelry in the parish of Middleton until 1735, at which time it became a separate ecclesiastical parish. It became a separate civil parish in 1866. The chapel is dedicated to St. James.Manchester Central Library call nos.: L 101/1/1/3-8, L 101/1/3/2-4.<br>
  
{| cellspacing="1" cellpadding="1" border="1" style="width: 609px; height: 288px;"
+
{| style="width: 609px; height: 288px" border="1" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="1"
 
|-
 
|-
| Contents<br>  
+
| Contents<br>
 
| Film<br>
 
| Film<br>
 
|-
 
|-
| Baptisms, 1813-1843; marriages, 1824-1835; burials, 1813-1848. <br>  
+
| Baptisms, 1813-1843; marriages, 1824-1835; burials, 1813-1848. <br>
 
| FHL BRITISH Film <br>559155 <br>
 
| FHL BRITISH Film <br>559155 <br>
 
|-
 
|-
| Baptisms, 1813-1843; marriages, 1824-1835; burials, 1813-1848 (another filming). <br>  
+
| Baptisms, 1813-1843; marriages, 1824-1835; burials, 1813-1848 (another filming). <br>
 
| VAULT BRITISH Film <br>2148026 <br>
 
| VAULT BRITISH Film <br>2148026 <br>
 
|-
 
|-
| Inventory of church records. Baptisms, 1843-1958. Burials, 1848-1913. <br>  
+
| Inventory of church records. Baptisms, 1843-1958. Burials, 1848-1913. <br>
 
| FHL BRITISH Film <br>2148027 <br>
 
| FHL BRITISH Film <br>2148027 <br>
 
|}
 
|}
  
Bishop's transcripts for Ashworth, 1813-1869 Microreproduction of original manuscripts housed at the Lancashire Record Office, Preston. Bishop's transcripts of the chapelry of Ashworth in the parish of Middleton in Lancashire, England. Lancashire Record Office: DRM/2/231a-233<br>  
+
Bishop's transcripts for Ashworth, 1813-1869 Microreproduction of original manuscripts housed at the Lancashire Record Office, Preston. Bishop's transcripts of the chapelry of Ashworth in the parish of Middleton in Lancashire, England. Lancashire Record Office: DRM/2/231a-233<br>
  
{| cellspacing="1" cellpadding="1" border="1" style="width: 609px; height: 250px;"
+
{| style="width: 609px; height: 250px" border="1" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="1"
 
|-
 
|-
 
| Content<br>
 
| Content<br>
Line 54: Line 52:
 
<br>
 
<br>
  
<br>  
+
<br>
  
 
<br>
 
<br>
Line 60: Line 58:
 
==== Census records  ====
 
==== Census records  ====
  
{{Expand section|any unique information, such as ''the census for X year was destroyed''}}
+
{{Expand section|any unique information, such as ''the census for X year was destroyed''}}  
  
http://www.1881pubs.com/ for details of public houses in the 1881 census<br>  
+
http://www.1881pubs.com/ for details of public houses in the 1881 census<br>
  
 
==== Poor Law Unions  ====
 
==== Poor Law Unions  ====
Line 70: Line 68:
 
<br>
 
<br>
  
==== Probate records<br> ====
+
==== Probate records<br> ====
  
 
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to [[Lancashire Probate Records|Lancashire Probate Records]] to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.  
 
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to [[Lancashire Probate Records|Lancashire Probate Records]] to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.  
  
== Maps and Gazetteers<br> ==
+
== Maps and Gazetteers<br> ==
  
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.<br>  
+
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.<br>
  
 
*[http://maps.familysearch.org/ England Jurisdictions 1851]  
 
*[http://maps.familysearch.org/ England Jurisdictions 1851]  
Line 85: Line 83:
 
Add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.  
 
Add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.  
  
http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=53024 British History Online Ashworth<br>  
+
http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=53024 British History Online Ashworth<br>
  
<br>  
+
== Reference ==
 +
 
 +
{{Reflist}}
 +
 
 +
<br>
  
 
[[Category:Lancashire]]
 
[[Category:Lancashire]]

Revision as of 17:11, 29 February 2012

England Gotoarrow.png Lancashire Gotoarrow.png Lancashire Parishes

St James' Church, Ashworth, Rochdale, Lancashire .jpg

Chapelry History

ASHWORTH, a parochial chapelry in the parish of Middleton, union of Bury, hundred of Salford, S. division of the county of Lancaster, 3½ miles west of Rochdale. The chapel, was dedicated to St James. The burial-ground commands an extensive view of the adjacent hills and vales.[1]

Ashworth St James is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Lancashire, created in 1735 from chapelry in Middleton, Lancashire Ancient Parish. It became a parish in 1866.

Resources

Civil Registration

Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.

Church records

Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection

Parish registers, St. James' Church, Ashworth (Lancashire), 1813-1958 Microfilm of original records in the Manchester Central Library, Manchester. Ashworth was a chapelry in the parish of Middleton until 1735, at which time it became a separate ecclesiastical parish. It became a separate civil parish in 1866. The chapel is dedicated to St. James.Manchester Central Library call nos.: L 101/1/1/3-8, L 101/1/3/2-4.

Contents
Film
Baptisms, 1813-1843; marriages, 1824-1835; burials, 1813-1848.
FHL BRITISH Film
559155
Baptisms, 1813-1843; marriages, 1824-1835; burials, 1813-1848 (another filming).
VAULT BRITISH Film
2148026
Inventory of church records. Baptisms, 1843-1958. Burials, 1848-1913.
FHL BRITISH Film
2148027

Bishop's transcripts for Ashworth, 1813-1869 Microreproduction of original manuscripts housed at the Lancashire Record Office, Preston. Bishop's transcripts of the chapelry of Ashworth in the parish of Middleton in Lancashire, England. Lancashire Record Office: DRM/2/231a-233

Content
Film
Baptisms, 1813-1846; marriages, 1824-1825, 1832-1835, 1838-1846; burials, 1813-1846.
FHL BRITISH Film
1545704 Items 3 - 4
Baptisms, marriages and burials, 1846; Baptisms and burials, 1847-1869.
FHL BRITISH Film
1545705 Items 1 - 2




Census records

http://www.1881pubs.com/ for details of public houses in the 1881 census

Poor Law Unions

Bury Poor Law Union, Lancashire


Probate records

Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Lancashire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.

Maps and Gazetteers

Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.

Web sites

Add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.

http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=53024 British History Online Ashworth

Reference

  1. A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis (1848), pp. 96-100. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=50766 Date accessed: 25 June 2010.