Aston, Staffordshire Genealogy
Guide to Aston, Staffordshire family history and genealogy: parish registers, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
ASTON, a chapelry in Stone parish, Stafford; on the river Trent, the Grand Trunk canal, and the Northwestern railway, 2 miles SE of Stone. It includes the hamlet of Little Aston. There is a Roman Catholic church.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Aston St Matthias was formed in 1846 from part of Stone, Staffordshire Previously united with Burston
Aston parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|FS = FamilySearch - free|
|ASTON PARISH (1846) Online Records|
- Deposited parish registers at Staffordshire Record Office Bap 1846-1993 Mar 1847-1995 Bur registers still with incumbent at the church
- Lichfield Record Office holdings of Bishop's Transcripts Bap 1846-1865 Mar none Bur 1846-1865
- 1532/3 - A List of Families in Aston, Staffordshire Genealogy 1532/3 FHL British Book 942.46 B4sc ser. 4 v. 8
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Staffordshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales&amp;amp;st=Aston
- 'IGI Batch Numbers for Stafford (A-M), England', IGI Batch Numbers - British Isles and North America, accessed 18 September 2013.
- Ann J. Kettle, A List of Families in the Archdeaconry of Stafford, 1532-3 (Stafford: Staffordshire Record Society, 1976). FHL British Book 942.46 B4sc ser. 4 v. 8