Aston by Sutton, Cheshire Genealogy
ASTON-BY-SUTTON, a parochial chapelry, in the parish and union of Runcorn, hundred of Bucklow, N. division of the county of Chester, 1 mile (S. by W.) from Preston-Brook.
Aston by Sutton St Peter was initially a chapelry in the Ancient Parish of Runcorn and included Aston by Sutton, Aston Grange, Sutton (near Runcorn) and a small part of Dutton, becoming a parish church in its own right from 1861.
St Peter's Church, Aston-by-Sutton is in Aston Lane in the small hamlet of Aston-by-Sutton, Cheshire near to the town of Runcorn.
The first religious building in the hamlet was a chapel of ease in the parish of Runcorn built in 1236 by Sir Thomas de Dutton which was known as the chapel of Poosey (or Pooseye).
The first chapel on the site of the present church was built in the early 16th century, not later than 1542. Following this the present chancel was built in 1697 for Sir Willoughby Aston, the architect possibly being John Vanbrugh.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD. Events may be searched online at Cheshire BMD
Aston by Sutton parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials have been indexed by the following groups:
|FS PR's =FamilySearch Parish Registers|
|FS BT's = FamilySearch Bishops Transcripts|
|Aston by Sutton Parish Online Records|
|FS PR's|| 1671-1909
|FS BT'S||1671-1893|| NONE
To find the names of the neighbouring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.
Parish registers of Aston-by-Sutton, 1635-1997
Cheshire Record Office call number: P128/1/1-2, P128/2/1-3, P128/5422/1, P128/3/1-2, P128/5422/2, P128/4/1-2, P128/5422/5, P128/2992/1
An index for Cheshire parish registers is available online at FamilySearch Historical Records. Here is a list of church records on microfilm at the Family History Library in Salt Lake City.
|Parish registers Content||FHL Film|
|Baptisms, 1635-1974. Marriages, 1635-1961. Burials, 1635-1997. Banns of marriages, 1830-1909.|| BRITISH |
2197742 Items 1 - 13
Bishop's transcripts for Aston-by-Sutton, 1623-1894 The parish church is St. Peter. Aston-by-Sutton was formerly a chapelry in the parish of Runcorn.Cheshire Record Office number: EDB 12
|Bishop's transcripts Contents||FHL Film|
|Baptisms, marriages, burials, 1623, 1636-1637, 1641, 1665-1666, 1671-1676, 1678-1679, 1682-1685, 1687-1731, 1733-1739, 1741-1843. Baptisms 1821, 1844-1893. Burials 1844-1894.|| BRITISH|
1655364 Item 2
|Another filming|| BRITISH |
1656808 Item 2
An index for Cheshire, Church of England, Bishop’s transcripts is available online at FamilySearch Historical Records.
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 241235.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Cheshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Poor Law Unions
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 104-108.
| This section requires expansion with:
any additional relevant sites that aren't mentioned above.
- Richards, Raymond (1950), "The Lesser Chapels of Cheshire: The Church of St. Peter, Aston by Sutton", Transactions of the Lancashire and Cheshire Antiquarian Society: 115–135
- Salter, Mark (1995), The Old Parish Churches of Cheshire, Malvern: Folly Publications, ISBN 1871731232
- Starkey, H. F. (1990), Old Runcorn, Halton Borough Council