Difference between revisions of "Atascadero California Family History Center"
|Line 45:||Line 45:|
=== '''Upcoming Events:'''<br> ===
=== '''Upcoming Events:'''<br> ===
==== Save the Date!<br>British Institute<br>Hotel, Salt Lake City<br>20-24 October 2014<br><br>, go to: http://www.isbgfh.org<br> <br>Since 1979, the International Society for British Genealogy and Family History has been helping genealogists connect to their British and Irish ancestry.<br> ====
Revision as of 19:22, 12 December 2013
|This article describes the services and resources available at a Family History Center, a branch facility of the Family History Library.|
The Atascadero Family History Center is located at 2600 Ramona Road, in Atascadero, Ca. The center is dedicated to providing education and support for the family history community in the area.
- 1 Center Contacts and Hours:
- 2 Holiday Schedule:
- 3 We will be closed the following dates in 2013
- 4 We will be closed the following dates in 2014
- 5 Upcoming Events:
- 5.1 Save the Date!2014 British InstituteSalt Lake Plaza Hotel, Salt Lake City20-24 October 2014For more info, go to: http://www.isbgfh.org Since 1979, the International Society for British Genealogy and Family History has been helping genealogists connect to their British and Irish ancestry.
- 5.2 ADVANCE FAMILY TREE SOURCES/PHOTOS This advanced class assumes those attending have some expierence using "Family Tree" and "Photos" on familysearch.org.
- 6 RootsTech
- 7 The Family History Center will be hosting a Family History Booth during Colony Days
- 8 Class Schedule:
- 8.2 Staff Training Meetings:
- 8.3 2013
- 8.4 Center Resources
- 8.5 FAMILY TREE IS NOW AVAILABLE TO EVERYONE!
- 8.6 Center Services
- 8.7 Resources in the Local Area
- 8.8 Links:
Center Contacts and Hours:
- Address: 2600 Ramona Road, Atascadero, Ca. 93422
- Phone: 805-466-6103
- The entrance to the family history center is located on the North side of the building. Please ring doorbell for entrance to the center. Handicap parking is available.
- Mon: 10:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
- Tues: 6:00 p.m. - 8:00 p.m.
- Wed: 10:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.
- Thur: 10:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
We will be closed the following dates in 2013
- DECEMBER 23 - JANUARY 3 (Christmas and New Years)
We will be closed the following dates in 2014
- JANUARY 20 Martin Luther King Day (Monday)
- FEBRUARY 17 Presidents Day (Monday)
- APRIL 21 - 24 Easter (Monday - Thursday)
- MAY 26 Memorial Day (Monday)
- JULY 3 4th of July (Friday)
- AUGUST 1 - 31 Closed the whole month of August
- SEPTEMBER 1 Labor Day (Monday)
- NOVEMBER 11 Veterens Day (Tuesday)
- NOVEMBER 25 - 27 Thanksgiving (Tuesday - Thursday)
- DECEMBER 22 - JANUARY 1 Christmas (Monday - Thursday)
Save the Date!
2014 British Institute
Salt Lake Plaza Hotel, Salt Lake City
20-24 October 2014
For more info, go to: http://www.isbgfh.org
Since 1979, the International Society for British Genealogy and Family History has been helping genealogists connect to their British and Irish ancestry.
ADVANCE FAMILY TREE SOURCES/PHOTOS
This advanced class assumes those attending have some expierence using "Family Tree" and "Photos" on familysearch.org.
Those taking the class are asked to bring a photo to upload, tag and attach to a person in Family Tree.
Some of the topics covered will be:
1. Capturing images to be used in sources;
2. Uploading, adding a title, tagging and attaching photos to a person in Family Tree;
3. Changing a Portrait Photo;
4. Adding sources using the source template;
5. Adding sources using indexed data bases on familysearch.org;
6. Adding sources using "Tree Connect" on the bookmark bar which has been dragged from recordseek.com;
7. Adding and editing stories
The class will be offered on three different days:
Saturday, September 28 at 1:00PM
Saturday, October 12 at 10:00AM
Saturday, November 2 at 1:00PM
The classes will be held at the Los Angeles Family History Library located at 10741 Santa Monica Boulevard in Los Angeles. Parking is free.
Please call 310-474-9990 to register
or register online: http://lafhl.org
Date: February 6–8, 2014
Location: Salt Palace, Salt Lake City
A Family History and Technology Conference to Define the Future of Genealogy
Brigham Young University is pleased to participate with FamilySearch in redesigning three former conferences—the Conference on Computerized Family History, the Technology Workshop and the FamilySearch Developers Conference—into a single new conference that offers even more to those interested in the important work of family history research.
RootsTech is an opportunity unlike any other to discover the latest family history tools and techniques, connect with experts to help you in your research, and be inspired in the pursuit of your ancestors.
Early Bird Registration is now open! For a limited time get a full access conference pass for just $159 (regular $239).
To register go to:
For new and upcoming BYU Conferences and Workshops go to:
The Family History Center will be hosting a Family History Booth during Colony Days
Saturday, October 19th in Atascadero
Bring a friend and stop by our booth to learn what's new and exciting at the Atascadero Family
Have you checked out the new Family Tree or Wiki?
- Introduction to Indexing classes are held every Wednesday
of the month from 11:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
Staff Training Meetings:
All inservice meetings will be held in the Relief Society Room
Last meeting of the year:
Sunday, NOVEMBER 17 7:00 p.m.
- Family History Library Catalog: This center has the ability to order any of the films and fiche available through the Family History Library Catalog.
- The Atascadero Family History Center has a small collection of various resource books and private collections that are available for viewing in the center.
Databases and Software
- FHC Portal This center has access to the Family History Center Portal page which gives free access in the center to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions, included are the following:
- The 19th Century British Library Newspaper Digital Archive
- Access Newspaper Archive
- Alexander Street Press ~ The American Civil War
- Ancestry.com (Family History Library Edition ~ includes International databases)
- Find My Past
- Fold3 (Formerly Footnote.com)
- The Genealogist
- Godfrey Memorial Library
- Heritage Quest Online
- Historic Map Works Library Edition
- Paper Trail
- World Vital Records
- You may also access the Family History Center portal for other related family history research option, http://www.fhc.familysearch.org from your home computer, however, you will not be able to access the free premiums.
FAMILY TREE IS NOW AVAILABLE TO EVERYONE!
- Training is available on the website and at the Family History Center.
- See link below
Hardware and Equipment
- The center has 9 computers, 5 microfilm readers, 1 microfiche reader, 1 scanner, 1 copy/printer machine, and 1 printer.
Resources in the Local Area
- San Luis Obispo Family History Center, 651 Foot Hill Blvd.San Luis Obispo, CA, Phone Number: 805-543-6328
- San Luis Obispo County Genealogical Society Library, 1288 Morro Street, San Luis Obsipo, CA, Phone Number: 805-528-6622 http://www.slocgs.org
- Heritage Shared http://www.heritageshared.org/
- History in San Luis Obispo County http://www.historyinslocounty.org/Bibliography.htm
- South County Historical Society, San Luis Obispo County http://www.southcountyhistory.org/
- Special Collections & University Archives Kennedy Library, California Polytechnic State University http://lib.calpoly.edu/specialcollections/
- Vital Records for the San Luis Obispo County, California Office of the Clerk-Record http://www.slocounty.ca.gov/clerk/Copies_of_Clerk_Records/Vital_Records.htm
- FAMILY TREE
- California Family History Centers https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/Category:California_Family_History_Centers
- San Luis Obispo County, California https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/San_Luis_Obispo_County,_California
- San Luis Obispo Family History Center https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/San_Luis_Obispo_California_Family_History_Center
- Santa Maria Family History Center
- Santa Margarita Historical Society http://www.santamargaritahistoricalsociety.org/