Atkinson County, Georgia Genealogy
Guide to Atkinson County Georgia genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Atkinson County, Georgia|
Location in the state of Georgia
Location of Georgia in the U.S.
|Founded||15 August, 1917|
|Address|| Atkinson County Courthouse|
PO Box 518
Pearson, GA 31642-0518
Atkinson County Website
- 1 Atkinson County Georgia Courthouse
- 2 Atkinson County Georgia History
- 3 Atkinson County Georgia Places/Localities
- 4 Atkinson County Georgia Genealogy Resources
- 5 Atkinson County Georgia Genealogy Societies and Libraries
- 6 Atkinson County Georgia Genealogy Websites
- 7 Atkinson County Georgia Genealogy References
Atkinson County Georgia Courthouse
Atkinson County Courthouse
PO Box 518
Pearson, GA 31642-0518
Clerk Superior Court has divorce, probate, and court
records from 1919; Probate Court has birth and death
records from 1929, marriage and land records from 1919
Atkinson County Georgia History
- 1917--Atkinson County was created 15 August 1917 from Coffee and Clinch Counties. County seat: Pearson 
Atkinson County Georgia Places/Localities
Atkinson County Georgia Genealogy Resources
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Georgia denominations, see the Georgia Church Records wiki page.
LDS Ward and Branch Records
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Georgia Land and Property for additional information about early Georgia land grants from the government. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions (generally buying and selling deeds) were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Atkinson County, Georgia Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Georgia Local Histories.
Newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Atkinson County, Georgia Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
- FamilySearch Catalog. Do a Place search for Atkinson County, Georgia Genealogy to find these and other records in the FamilySearch Catalog (For instructions see FamilySearch Catalog Place-name Search).
Colonial courts kept some early probate records. From 1777 to 1798 and since 1852, the court of ordinary or register of probates has kept probate and guardianship records. The inferior court handled probate and guardianship matters from 1798 to 1852.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, marriage, adoption, and birth and death records (not all years).
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Georgia State Department of Health , the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred or order electronically online..
For some online statewide indexes, see the FamilySearch Historical Record Collections for Georgia.
Atkinson County Georgia Genealogy Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
Atkinson County Georgia Genealogy Websites
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Atkinson County, Georgia Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
Atkinson County Georgia Genealogy References
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Atkinson County, Georgia. Page 151 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).