Attala County, Mississippi Genealogy
Guide to Attala County Mississippi genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places / Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Attala County Courthouse
230 W Washington Street
Kosciusko, MS 39090-0000
Clerk Circuit Court has marriage records.
Clerk Chancery Court has divorce, probate
and land records and old newspapers. 
1833--Attala County was created 23 December 1833 as part of the Choctaw Cession.
County seat: Kosciusko 
Places / Localities
For tips on accessing Attala County, Mississippi Genealogy census records online, see: Mississippi Census.
- Civil War service men from Attala served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Attala County.
- - 1st Regiment, Mississippi Cavalry Reserves
- Company F - Shipp’s Company
- - 2nd Battalion, Mississippi Infantry [became the 48th Regiment, Mississippi Infantry]
- Company - Rocky Point Rifles, aka Rocky Point Rifle Company
- - 48th Regiment, Mississippi Infantry [from the 2nd Battalion, Mississippi Infantry]
- Company B - Rocky Point Rifles, aka Rocky Point Rifle Company
- - 4th Regiment, Mississippi Infantry
- Company B - Attala Yellow Jackets
- Company K - Center Marksmen
- - 5th Regiment, Mississippi Cavalry
- Company E - Love’s Company
- Company I - Turner’s Company
- - 11th Regiment, Mississippi Cavalry
- Company C - Buford’s Company
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- Mississippi Genealogy and History Network — Attala County
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Attala County, Mississippi page 378, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).