Audley, Staffordshire Genealogy
Guide to Audley, Staffordshire family history and genealogy: parish registers, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
AUDLEY (St. James), a parish, in the union of Newcastle-under-Lyme, N. division of the hundred of Pirehill, and of the county of Stafford, 5 miles(N. W.) from Newcastle, on the road to Nantwich. At Talk-o'-th'-Hill is another church; and there are numerous places of worship for dissenters in the parish.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
See also Staffordshire BMD
Audley parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|BIVRI = British Isles Vital Records Index (Ancestry) - (£)|
|FREG = FreeREG - free|
|FS = FamilySearch - free|
|NBI = National Burial Index (FindMyPast) - (£)|
|AUDLEY PARISH (1538) Online Records|
Many of Staffordshire's Parish Register entries have been transcribed in full by Staffordshire Freereg and can be searched for free.
The following MIs were kindly contributed by Alf Beard:
- Some Monumental Inscriptions - Alsagers Bank, St. John's Churchyard
- Some Monumental Inscriptions - St. James the Great's Churchyard
- 1532/3 - A List of Families in Audley, Staffordshire Genealogy 1532/3 FHL British Book 942.46 B4sc ser. 4 v. 8
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Staffordshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England, (1848). Date accessed and adapted: 22 October 2013.
- 'British Isles Vital Records Index - 2nd Ed. Breakdown of Records', Genoot, accessed 13 September 2013.
- 'Staffordshire Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 13 September 2013.
- 'IGI Batch Numbers for Stafford (A-M), England', IGI Batch Numbers - British Isles and North America, accessed 18 September 2013.
- 'Parish Records - National Burial Index Records 1538 - 2005 Coverage', Find My Past, accessed 8 September 2013.
- Ann J. Kettle, A List of Families in the Archdeaconry of Stafford, 1532-3 (Stafford: Staffordshire Record Society, 1976). FHL British Book 942.46 B4sc ser. 4 v. 8