Australia Miscellaneous Genealogical Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)
|This article describes a collection of historical records available at FamilySearch.org.|
Access the records: Australia, Miscellaneous Genealogical Records, 1776-1980 .
|You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for Australia, Miscellaneous ...ogical Records, 1776-1980.|
This collection will include records from 1776 to 1980.
These are miscellaneous Australian genealogical records. This material is handwritten or typed on index cards. The cards are filed in alphabetical order by surname. Some index cards are transcripts of newspaper reports of births, marriages, and deaths; some are transcripts of various vital records, and so on. The emphasis appears to be New South Wales, with some Victorian records. Some cards show LDS ordinance work (Temple Index Bureau) and extracts of LDS membership records. Other cards list information regarding various LDS families, and the emphasis appears to be South Australia (but does not include the early LDS families there).
The collection is composed of three sets of cards:
- The first set has data transcribed from birth, marriage and death records along with newspaper notices. The emphasis is on New South Wales with some records from Victoria.
- The second set is an index to temple and church records of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
- The third set is data primarily from family records and vital certificates. The emphasis is on families of South Australia with some additional information on families from Queensland.
The population coverage is minimal.
These cards were created as indexes to various genealogical records.
These records usually include the following information:
- Name of the spouse with place and date of marriage
- Age and place of birth
- Residence and occupation
- Names of descendants
- Names of parents with their places of birth
- Place and date of death
- Amount of time resident in Australia
- Names of siblings with their ages
- Some temple ordinance dates (on Temple Index Bureau cards)
How to Use the Records
As you are searching it is helpful to know such information as your ancestor’s given name and surname, some identifying information such as residence and age, and family relationships. Remember that there may be more than one person in the records with the same name as your ancestor and that your ancestor may have used nicknames or different names at different times.
Search the Collection
Fill in the requested information in the initial search page. This search will return a list of possible matches. Compare the information about the ancestors in the list to what you already know about your ancestors to determine if this is the correct family or person. You may need to look at several images and compare the information about the individuals listed in those images to your ancestors to make this determination.
Using the Information
- Dates and places of birth can be used to search for information about parents if the parents’ information is not included. New South Wales has an index to births 1788-1910, deaths 1788-1980, and marriages 1788-1960
- The place of residence in Australia can lead to searches in immigration records for places of origin
|FHL Place Australia items or FHL Keyword Australia items in the FamilySearch Library Catalog. For other libraries (local and national) or to gain access to items of interest, see Australia Archives and Libraries.|
- Australian Family History and Genealogy Selected Websites
- A Concise History of Australia
- Australia Maps
- New South Wales Map 1833
Related Wiki Articles
- Australia Civil Registration - Vital Records
- Australia Births and Baptisms (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- Australia Deaths and Burials (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- Australia Marriages (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- Australia Archives and Libraries
- Australia Emigration and Immigration
Contributions to This Article
| We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records. |
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.
Citing FamilySearch Historical Collections
Citations for individual image records are available for this collection. Browse through images in this collection and click on the "Show Citation" box: Australia, Miscellaneous Genealogical Records, 1776-1980
When you copy information from the record, you should list where you found the information. This will help you or others to find the record again. It is also good to keep track of records where you do not find information, including the names of the people you looked for in the records.
Citation for This Collection
The following citation refers to the original source of the information published in FamilySearch.org Historical Records collections. Sources include the author, custodian, publisher, and archive for the original records.
- "Australia, Miscellaneous Genealogical Records, 1776-1980." Index and Images. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : accessed 2013. Citing Greenwich New South Wales Family History Centre.