Avery County, North Carolina Genealogy
|Avery County, North Carolina|
Location in the state of North Carolina
Location of North Carolina in the U.S.
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Avery County North Carolina
Newland, NC 28640
Clerk Superior Court has divorce, probate, court & land from 1911
Avery County was formed 23 Feb 1911 from Caldwell, Mitchell, Watauga
- Cemetery information - Avery County, NCGenWeb - includes listings to approx. 60 cemeteries
- Cemetery information - Avery County, NCGenWeb Archives
- Find-A-Grave: Avery County Cemeteries - user-submitted names for burials in the county
For tips on accessing Avery County, North Carolina Genealogy census records online, see: North Carolina Census.
- Mililtary records - Avery County, NCGenWeb Archives
Civil War Confederate units - Brief history, counties where recruited, etc.
- Avery County Newspapers - find libraries with microfilm of historical newspapers; via the Library of Congress
- Avery Journal-Times - current newspaper
- Avery County marriage records can be ordered from the Register of Deeds. Please visit their website for contact information.
- North Carolina Marriages, 1762-1979 - database from FamilySearch; includes Avery County marriages
- Avery County death records can be ordered from the Register of Deeds. Please visit their website for contact information.
- North Carolina Death Certificates, 1906-1930 - database from FamilySearch; includes original microfilm images and covers Avery County.
- Avery County Obituaries - Avery County, NCGenWeb Archives
- Avery County students at NC colleges - a list via the NCGenWeb Yearbook Index
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- NCGenWeb: Avery County - free genealogy resources; part of the national USGenWeb Project
- Family History Library Catalog
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).