Awsworth, Nottinghamshire Genealogy
Awsworth St Peter is an Ecclesiastical parish which was formed as a chapelry in Nuthall, Nottinghamshire Ancient Parish.( The chapel was consecrated about 1760. A poor person from this chapelry is eligible to Ilkeston almshouse.)The church was rebuilt (except from the chancel) in 1902
The Awsworth Methodist Church was opened in 1884 as a United Methodist Free church.
AWSWORTH, a chapelry, in the parish of Nuthall, S. division of the wapentake of Broxtow, N.division of the county of Nottingham, 7½ miles (N. W.by W.) from Nottingham; containing 294 inhabitants.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
This area was from 1837 part of the Basford registration district
Awsworth St Peter
Deposited records at Nottinghamshire Archives Baptisms 1756-1942 Marriages 1756-1940 Burials 1758-1933 Bishop’s Transcripts 1813-1836 (with Nuthall, Nottinghamshire)
Nottinghamshire County Council
NG2 7QP telephone: 08449 808080 online
Link to the Family History Library Catalogue showing the film numbers in their collection Awsworth
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Nottinghamshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
| This section requires expansion with:
any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above..
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 116-120. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=50771