Difference between revisions of "Ballard County, Kentucky Genealogy"
|Line 130:||Line 130:|
==== Newspapers ====
==== Newspapers ====
==== Probate ====
==== Probate ====
Revision as of 01:27, 5 December 2010United States Kentucky Ballard County
|Ballard County, Kentucky|
Location in the state of Kentucky
Location of Kentucky in the U.S.
|Founded||February 15, 1842|
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places / Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
1842--Ballard County was created 15 February 1842 from Hickman and McCracken Counties. Ballard County lies in the Jackson Purchase region of far western Kentucky.
County seat: Wickliffe 
Carlisle County was created entirely from Ballard County on May 3, 1886,
1880--A disaster destroyed most records.
Places / Localities
|Bandana||Gage||La Center||New York|
- Alexander County, Illinois
- Massac County, Illinois
- Mississippi County, Missouri
- Pulaski County, Illinois
The following have information concerning African American research. Both should be used:
- African American Research (US) and Kentucky African American Griots have more information about the kinds of records
- Kentucky Minorities has information specific to Kentucky African Americans.
Kentucky cemetery records often identify birth, death, relationship, and military information, as well as religious affiliation. Local volunteers through Random Acts of Genealogical Kindness may take photographs of headstones found in county cemeteries.
• Ballard Co. KY GenWeb Cemeteries Page has a list of the county cemeteries and recent
photos of many, as well as some grave listings.
- Kentucky Historical Society Cemetery Search can be searched by name, place and/or date. This database has hundreds of thousands of names transcribed from gravestones across Kentucky.
- Find A Grave can be searched by the name of a person or family to find where a person is buried. Usually gives birth and death dates often with a picture of the tombstone. May give obituaries, names of family members and links to their information in Find A Grave.
- Find A Grave also gives a list of cemeteries in Ballard County and links to the information for the individuals buried there,
- Kentucky Cemeteries lists the national cemeteries in Kentucky with links to their web sites. The first link under Online Kentucky Cemeteries goes to the Kentucky section of Interment.net
- Ballard Co. KY USGenWeb Tombstone Project usually gives the names of the deceased in alphabetical order by last name with birth and death dates plus any remarks.
- The Family History Library Catalog lists some records of cemeteries in Ballard County. Some of the books or others may be on Google Books or available at public libraries.
- ePodunk list of Ballard County cemeteries gives the names of the cemeteries in the county with a link to more information such as address, phone number, and web site.
♦ Ballard Co. KYGenweb Church Records includes Bible records and some church histories.
♦ Baptist Roots at Rootsweb has many records.
♦ Ballard Co., KY Genweb "A Few Ballard County Churches" contains numbers on church affiliations and some photos of Ballard County churches.
♦ Baptist History Homepage - lots of transcribed Baptist documents
♦ Southern Baptist Historical Library and Archives - a fine research resource
♦ Access Genealogy "Kentucky Bible Records"
Court - contact the County Clerk for actual records
Ballard County Court Clerk
Ballard County Courthouse
132 North 4th Street
Wickliffe, KY 42087
♦ Ballard Co., KYGenWeb Indexes to Deeds: After the courthouse fire in 1880, many land transactions were re-recorded. Many are indexed and extracted here.
♦ Ballard County KYGenWeb 1880 Map with post offices (includes Carlisle Co.)
Societies and Libraries
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- BallardCounty, Kentucky Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).