Ballard County, Kentucky Genealogy
Guide to Ballard County Kentucky genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, military records, and immigration records.
|Ballard County, Kentucky|
Location in the state of Kentucky
Location of Kentucky in the U.S.
|Founded||February 15, 1842|
- 1 Ballard County Kentucky Courthouse
- 2 Ballard County Kentucky History
- 3 Ballard County Kentucky Places / Localities
- 4 Ballard County Kentucky Genealogy Resources
- 5 Ballard County Kentucky Genealogy Societies and Libraries
- 6 Ballard County Kentucky Genealogy Websites
- 7 Ballard County Kentucky Genealogy References
Ballard County Kentucky Courthouse
Ballard County Courthouse
424 Court Street
PO Box 145
Wickliffe, KY 42087-0145
Courthouse burned in 1880
County Clerk has marriage and land records from 1880.
Clerk Circuit Court has divorce and probate records.
Ballard County Kentucky History
Carlisle County was created entirely from Ballard County on May 3, 1886,
1880--A fire destroyed most records, but many land documents were re-entered into the court files in the next several years. See extracts from many of those files on land records at KYGenWeb Project, Ballard County, Kentucky
Ballard County Kentucky Places / Localities
|Bandana||Gage||La Center||New York|
- Alexander County, Illinois
- Massac County, Illinois
- Mississippi County, Missouri
- Pulaski County, Illinois
Ballard County Kentucky Genealogy Resources
- Kentucky African American Griots has more information about the kinds of records
Kentucky cemetery records often identify birth, death, relationship, and military information, as well as religious affiliation. Lookup volunteers who own books listing cemetery burials through Ballard County KYGenWeb will look up information.
- Ballard Co. KYGenWeb Cemeteries Page has a list of the county cemeteries and recent photos of many, as well as some grave listings.
- Kentucky Historical Society Cemetery Search can be searched by name, place and/or date. This database has hundreds of thousands of names transcribed from gravestones across Kentucky.
- Find A Grave can be searched by the name of a person or family to find where a person is buried. Usually gives birth and death dates often with a picture of the tombstone. May give obituaries, names of family members and links to their information in Find A Grave.
- Kentucky Cemeteries lists the national cemeteries in Kentucky with links to their web sites. The first link under Online Kentucky Cemeteries goes to the Kentucky section of Interment.net
- Ballard Co. KY USGenWeb Tombstone Project usually gives the names of the deceased in alphabetical order by last name with birth and death dates plus any remarks.
- The Family History Library Catalog lists some records of cemeteries in Ballard County. Some of the books or others may be on Google Books or available at public libraries.
- ePodunk list of Ballard County cemeteries gives the names of the cemeteries in the county with a link to more information such as address, phone number, and web site.
1850, 1860, 1870, 1880, 1900, 1910, 1920, and 1930 federal population schedules of Ballard County are available online. For tips on accessing census records online, see Kentucky Census. If you're having trouble finding your ancestors in online indexes, try checking printed indexes. Created by local experts familiar with the area's families, these indexes are often transcribed more accurately than online nationwide indexes.
See Kentucky Population Schedule Indexes: Fiche, Film, or Book for more information about statewide printed indexes.
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Kentucky denominations, view the Kentucky Church Records wiki page.
♦ Ballard Co. KYGenweb Church Records includes Bible records and some church histories.
♦ Baptist Roots at Rootsweb has many records.
♦ Ballard Co., KY Genweb "A Few Ballard County Churches" contains numbers on church affiliations and some photos of Ballard County churches.
♦ Baptist History Homepage - lots of transcribed Baptist documents
♦ Southern Baptist Historical Library and Archives - a fine research resource
♦ Access Genealogy "Kentucky Bible Records"
Court - contact the County Clerk for actual records
Ballard County Court Clerk
Ballard County Courthouse
132 North 4th Street
Wickliffe, KY 42087
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Kentucky Land and Property for additional information about early Kentucky land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.Ballard Co., KYGenWeb Indexes to Deeds: After the courthouse fire in 1880, many land transactions were re-recorded. Many are indexed and extracted here.
Local histories are available for Ballard County, Kentucky Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories see the wiki page section Kentucky Local Histories.
♦ Ballard County, KY: medical account book of Dr. W.A. Moffitt of Kevil, KY
Author Don Simmons
Publisher Simmons Historical Publications, 1993
Length 87 pages
♦ Ballard/Carlisle Counties Genealogical Society (see link below)
♦ Ballard County KYGenWeb Lookups in local history books
♦ Ballard County KYGenWeb 1880 Map with post offices (includes Carlisle Co.)
♦ Ballard County KYGenWeb Military Records & Sources - list of sources
♦ Kentucky Casualties in Korean Conflict NARA - see what National Archives holds
♦ Kentucky Casualty/MIA/POW Vietnam NARA - see what National Archives holds
Regiments. Service men in Ballard County, Kentucky Genealogy served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Ballard County, Kentucky Genealogy:
- - 12th Regiment, Kentucky Cavalry (Confederate), Company D
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Ballard County, Kentucky Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
Probate records are held by the Ballard County, Kentucky Genealogy Clerk of Court and are housed at the Ballard County, Kentucky Genealogy Courthouse. Microfilmed records can be found online at Kentucky, Probate Records, 1792-1977. See the wiki page Kentucky Probate Records for information about how to use probate records.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, and adoptions.
♦ Ballard County KYGenWeb Extraction of Wills (1880 - 1918 complete)
♦ 1879-1924 - Will Book A (1879-1924) has been digitized by FamilySearch - free.
♦ Family History Library Catalog- listings of books and microfilm
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district. For more background information and state-wide resources see the wiki page Kentucky Taxation.
♦ Ballard County KYGenWeb Ongoing transcription of tax records (1843 & 1848 complete)
Vital records consist of birth, death, marriage and divorce records. Although Kentucky enacted a statute in 1852-1862 requiring registration of births and deaths,many counties did not comply. A second law was written in 1874-1879, and 1892-1910 but, again, was not always followed. By 1911, the law was more clearly defined and kept by 1920. Any existing births 1852-1960 and death records 1852-1953 can be accessed online. See How to Find Kentucky Birth Records and How to Find Kentucky Death Records for links to indexes and images.
Original marriage records are held at the office of the Ballard County, Kentucky Genealogy Clerk, with divorce records 1849-1958 located with the Ballard County, Kentucky Genealogy Circuit Court. For more information see How to Find Kentucky Marriage Records. For Kentucky divorce records see the wiki page Kentucky Vital Records.
♦ KY Death Records - Index to Kentucky deaths from years 1911 to 2000 (free)
♦ KY Deaths from 1852-1953 - actual copies of death certs or records (pay site)
♦ Social Security Death Index - modern death record dates (free)
Ballard County Kentucky Genealogy Societies and Libraries
Family History Center
320 Birch St
Paducah, McCracken, Kentucky, United States
Phone: 270-443-8381 (call first, hours may change)
Hours: T 10am-3pm; Th 9:30am-2pm; Sat: 10am-4pm
♦ Ballard County Library
Ballard/Carlisle/Livingston Public Library System
132 North Fourth Street
Wickliffe, KY 42087
Contact: Mainord, Sonya
P.O. Box 428
Bardwell, KY 42023-0428
Ballard County Kentucky Genealogy Websites
- Ballard County KYGenWeb project. Pages of photos, maps, family research, links.
- Ballard County KY Kindred Trails. No information but lots of links
- Family History Library Catalog
- BallardCounty, Kentucky Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
Ballard County Kentucky Genealogy References
♦ Kentucky Genealogical Society Bluegrass Roots (back issues)
♦ PERSI (largest index of genealogical periodicals♦ Local History and Genealogy Reading Room from the National Government
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Kootenai, Idaho page 178, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/f/f1/Igikentuckyaf.pdf.