Ballynahaglish Civil Parish, County Mayo Genealogy

From FamilySearch Wiki
Revision as of 15:03, 13 June 2013 by Naisbittrl (talk | contribs) (Added info about Family History Library records)

Jump to: navigation, search

Ireland Gotoarrow.png County Mayo Gotoarrow.png Ballynahaglish Civil Parish

The following information is a starting point for records about the civil parish of Ballynahaglish. The information is based on locations and records before 1922.

Historical Overview


BALLYNAHAGLISH, a parish, in the barony of TYRAWLEY, county of MAYO, and province of CONNAUGHT, 2 ½ miles (S. by E.) from Ballina; containing 5103 inhabitants. This place derived its name, signifying in the Irish language "the Town of the Church," from an ancient abbey or religious establishment, of which there are some slight remains, though nothing of its history is recorded. The parish is situated on the west bank of the river Moy, which is navigable here and is celebrated for its salmon; and comprises 11,559 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act and valued at £4620 per annum. The system of agriculture is improved; there is a very extensive tract of bog, of which a great portion is reclaimable, also abundance of limestone, sandstone, and granite quarried for building and for mending the roads. The gentlemen's seats are Mount Falcon, that of J. F. Knox, Esq., on the demesne of which is a good race-course; and Rehins, of W. Atkinson, Esq. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Killala, and is part of the union of Ardagh; the rectory is impropriate in the vicars choral of the cathedral of Christ-Church, Dublin. The tithes amount to £300, payable in moieties to the impropriators and the vicar. The church is in ruins. The glebe comprises 15 acres; there is no glebe-house.

In the R. C. divisions it is the head of a union or district, called Backs, which comprises also the parish of Kilbelfad, and contains two chapels, one in each parish; that of Ballynahaglish is not yet completed. There is an ancient burial-ground in the townland of Ballynahaglish, and another at Killeen, which is unconsecrated and is appropriated to the interment of infants dying before baptism. There are two schools, situated respectively at Mount Falcon and Lisaniska, under the National Board, the former aided by an annual donation from J. F. Knox, Esq.; two schools under the Baptist Society, and one at Rehins Lodge, supported by Mrs. Atkinson and her daughters. In these are about 230 boys and 130 girls: there is also a hedge school of about 20 boys and 20 girls. There are the remains of an ancient castle called Castle-Mac Andrew, also several cromlechs and numerous encampments, in the parish; and at Gortnaderra is a curious cave.

From: Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837); accessed at:


List the names of townlands in this civil parish List the names of the surrounding parishes List the names and give a description of a district, poor law union, etc.

Maps and gazetteers

Add a Web site link for a map or gazetteer site, and/or add a printed source. Read more about maps and gazetteers.



Add references to indexes to gravestones or monumental inscriptions.


The purpose of a census was to gather information about people who lived in an area. While the government began census taking in 1821, only fragments exist before 1901. Censuses for 1901 and 1911 are available. Read more about the records in the Ireland Census article.

Add information here about census substitutes that you know about.

Church records

Read general information about church records.


Name(s) of ecclesiastical parish, records, availability, archive, online indexes, notes.

The Catholic parish of Backs is in the civil parishes of Ballynahaglish and Kilbelfed. The Catholic parish is also called Ballynahaglish.

Family History Library
Baptisms 1830-1880
Marriages 1829-1880
Church of Ireland

Name(s) of ecclesiastical parish, records, availability, archive, online indexes, notes.

Kilmoremoy Parish Church served as the church for the union of Ardagh, county Mayo which includes also the vicarages of Attymass, Ballynahglish, Kilbelfad and Kilgarvan, the church built in 1763 was at Ardnaree, county Mayo.

Family History Library
Baptisms 1758-1820
Marriages 1758-1823
Burials 1758-1823

Name(s) of ecclesiastical parish, records, availability, archive, online indexes, notes.


Name(s) of ecclesiastical parish, records, availability, archive, online indexes, notes.

Society of Friends

Name(s) of ecclesiastical parish, records, availability, archive, online indexes, notes.


Name(s) of ecclesiastical parish, records, availability, archive, online indexes, notes.

Civil Registration

Government registration of births and deaths began in 1864. Registration of Protestant marriages began in 1845, with all marriages being registered by 1864. Go to the Ireland Civil Registration article to read more about these records.

Land records

The Registry of Deeds started in 1708. Land transactions were recorded, including immovable property passed on in a will and property given to a daughter at her marriage. Read more about these records in the Ireland Land and Property article.

Probate records

Probate dealt with the property of a deceased person. Read more about these records in the Ireland Probate Records article.

Add information about probate records for this parish.

School records

Read more about these records in the Ireland Schools article. Add records for this parish.

Tax records

The valuation of property for tax purposes was started in the 1840s by Richard Griffith. A tax paid to the church, call Tithe Applotments, began in the 1820s. Read about these records in the Ireland Taxation and Ireland Land and Property articles. Add records for this parish that you know about.

Web Sites

Add a site for this civil parish.

Further Reading

Add sources here.